tristar ts-mppt 60 charging algorithm presets

lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
im using a preset on my new controller thats supposed to float for 180 minutes. for the last 11 days on the sunny days it only did a flat 180 minutes once. 2 times it ran for 210 minutes and the ohewr times are random. today was 209.

i seem to recall on my mx-60 i programmed it (via advise here) so that when the amps dropped off to a certain setpoint it would go to float. this appears as if there is probbaly some of that going on in the background due to these changing times, but on the other hand why does it get set to three hours? I am positive on the mx-60 i did not absorb for 3 hours every days, it was something like one hour or until dropoff. that hasnt appeared to have harmed my batteries. 3 hours seems excessive, especially in summer where i'll probably be boiling off a ton of water at that rate.

anyone familiar with this model? should i go to custom charging settings or could 3 hours be good? maybe in winter if im only getting full charge once a week i can see that being good. thoughts?

Comments

• lamplight
    Re: tristar ts-mppt 60 charging algorithm presets

if anyone else has this issue: i heard from monrningstar, and it turns out (as is clearly stated in the manual (ahem...) that it extends the absorb stage if you dip below 12.5 in the evening so thats my issue. (being old batteries and all) . ;)
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why you would set float to 180 minutes. Do you mean bulk?

Float can be continuous for lead-acid batteries. By float terminating at 180 minutes you cease taking PV power. It would make sense if you are using LiFePO4 batteries.

Anyway, load on the batteries can modify any setting causing it to restart charging sequence. Load could be drawing inverter power or batteries with high leakage rate.

Most controllers have a bulk termination based on current drop off with a time out as a failsafe.
  • lamplight
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    Not sure why you would set float to 180 minutes. Do you mean bulk?

:confused::roll::cry:
    yes i meant bulk
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

The bulk current capability will depend on sun intensity and resulting PV current generation.

If absorb stage (2nd stage of charging) termination is based on battery current dropping to some percentage of original bulk current setting then when PV current generation is fluxuating it can reduce the bulking current available and result in a longer time for batteries to achieve absorb trip voltage and then drop in charge current to trip change over to float level.

Your batteries could also have developed high series resistance either from old age or positive grid corrosion from excessive overcharging such that minimal loading causes their voltage to drop quickly re-initiating the charge controller to start stage one bulk charging again.

A load test on the batteries can be used to determine if this condition exist.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

All of the charger parameters are user programmable on the TriStar Mppt. Download the MSView software to make the changes, which can be done via serial RS232 OR Ethernet.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/product.cfm?ProductId=1

I would suggest you read the product manuals which provide a full description of the settings with detailed information, the re-bulk value of 12.5V is a pretty standard value and its not a "dip" below that value but a sustained lower voltage which would indicate the battery's have been depleted and is in need to for a full charge cycle.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone (SG ?) have any insight on the April 2010 firmware updates for the Tristar MPPT? Should they be applied, is it worth the risk.

Any advice RS232 or Ethernet port to update with ? Any "gotchas" to watch out for ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• lamplight

I ran the upgrade a couple weeks ago, needs to be done over serial, its been running good. there is a particular brand usb to serial adapter they recommended which I bought and used with no problems, I can let you know what that is tomorrow if you need to get one too.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamplight wrote: »
    ..... there is a particular brand usb to serial adapter they recommended which I bought and used with no problems, I can let you know what that is tomorrow if you need to get one too.

Yes please, if there is a suggested brand, I want to NOT go through the troubleshooting steps (did you use a xyz USB/Serial dongle?) I'll be running Vista off a laptop

Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I've used 2 different generic usb-serial converters without issues, same on my software and its been years since I came across one that doesn't work.

Anything with the prolific chip set should be fine

Yes, I would suggest you use the latest, most changes are in the logging of operational data, not functional changes to the basic charger features.
  • lamplight

Mike
    their support guy recommended to me to use the Tripp Lite model U209-000-R

their website says that it improves at some efficiency too, so I'm not sure about that.

I did notice that on the web status page when I went to history it would hang up quite a bit, since applying the firmware update it doesn't do that anymore.