Starting my generator from a remote building.

Options
wrdaigle
wrdaigle Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
I am in the process of wiring a shop building. I think I have finally decided to make 2 different wire runs to the shop: one from the house so I can run lights and small power tools off of my batteries and one directly from the generator so I can run tools like my table saw and compressor directly off the generator. The generator (Kohler 12Res) sits about 200ft from my shop, so I would like to be able to start and stop it remotely. My outback system in the house is already hooked up to the 2-wire start on the generator.

Can I run start it from a second location? If so, what would I need. I considered getting a second mate and mounting it in the shop building, but it doesn't look like that option is option is functional yet.

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Starting my generator from a remote building.

2-wire start is just a switch, so you can wire as many switches in parallel as you like. If you can't run an additional wire for the extra switch in the shop, you could use a remote controlled relay like this: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/315mhz-remote-relay-switch-kits-2-channels-p-150.html?cPath=139_140&zenid=88650bf642df0178599f80a4b43b4bcd
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Which end is your aux relay ? gen or inverter ? If you can get to it or the "2 wires" that go TO the gen FROM the relay, As said it is simply a case of paralleling a switch alongside them,(2 wire start, just join the 2 wires together, it starts, take em apart it stops)
    If it is before the aux relay, The FX output`s 12v to trigger the relay, so is a little more difficult, (Be careful not to bridge these, it will kill the board)
    You can not use more than one mate, Although if you have computers & network available there are other options, (I would stick with wire & switch,As long as it`s mechanically suitable, Wire size / type is not that important)

Tim
  • wrdaigle
    wrdaigle Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Got it. The 12v relay is what was confusing me. This sounds simple enough. I can certainly run wires for the switch. Do I need to get any particular type of switch, or will any old household switch suffice?

Thanks, Bill
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Any switch will do, but as it is low voltage, keep it away from the AC as much as poss, If you want to be posh/ your workshop is far away/ you feel like it, You could use 2 way light switches and wire it as fig 2 http://www.electronics-project-design.com/LightSwitchWiring.html substituting AC & lamp for your 2 wire, one either end,and if you forget to turn it off, you will not have to walk :D
    Tim
  • JayWes
    JayWes Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

One thing to consider on an AC control circuit is distance; there the capacitance between two control wires in series with an inductance of a relay and this can cause enough current to flow in the open circuit to operate a relay. For this reason in a lot of remote control circuits a DC source and relay is used. Also keep in mind even though you are talking small currents, a long run with small wire can have a large voltage drop.

:roll:Some manufacturers also provide remote control panels for generators. These can also provide annunciators and pilot lights to indicate the generator status.

:blush:A warning sign should be placed on the generator to indicate that it can be remotely started. A means to disconnect the remote starting circuit should be provided for protection during servicing.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JayWes wrote: »
    One thing to consider on an AC control circuit is distance; there the capacitance between two control wires in series with an inductance of a relay and this can cause enough current to flow in the open circuit to operate a relay. For this reason in a lot of remote control circuits a DC source and relay is used. Also keep in mind even though you are talking small currents, a long run with small wire can have a large voltage drop.

:roll:Some manufacturers also provide remote control panels for generators. These can also provide annunciators and pilot lights to indicate the generator status.

:blush:A warning sign should be placed on the generator to indicate that it can be remotely started. A means to disconnect the remote starting circuit should be provided for protection during servicing.

So far, the contactor (120V coil, 240V contacts) and float switch for my pump (700' each way) has been working ok. I think it will take a lot more distance to get a tuned circuit to start flipping around. I hope. I stayed with 120VAC, because of the distance, and that's what the contactor coil was.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• nsxnitro
    nsxnitro Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    Is Kohler 12res generator two wire connection 3 and 4? 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    WR has not been back since 2013--You probably will not get an answer from him.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset