What is the best sealant for penetrations???

Batikikik
Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is the best sealant for penetrations ???
Tile - ?
Shingle - ?

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What is the best sealant for penetrations???

For attaching to cement tile might be a little dicy depending on how tile was attached. If recent roof with polyurethane foam tile attachement should be okay. I sanded my cement tile to remove paint in area and put a 3" flat pole base gluing it down with Gorrilla glue (polyurethane glue) It is very strong but can be chiseled off with a putty knife if removal is ever needed.

That way there is no roof penetration to leak.

For shingles not much option other then screws through roof, preferable into rafter studs. I have mineral paper on flat roof which is similar. I bought keg of asphalt (very inexpensive), a large inexpensive pot, and a 1 kW electric single burner for about $15. Axe off chunks of asphalt and melt it in the pot.

I coated the penetration lag points with hot ashalt. (just be careful you don't drip hot tar on you).

Silicon sealant doesn't work very well on roofing surface. A polyurethane sealant might be an alternative but don't know if it will hold up to sun UV exposure.
  • Batikikik

Man you are telling me old fasion things :))
    What gorilla ??
    I use Sikaflex and sometimes henry mastic . I want to know what other people use .
    But gorilla ?
  • mr.radon
    mr.radon Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭

3M 5200
    OR
    BLACK JACK 10 Oz. Premium All Weather Plastic Roof Cement

I decided to use Oatey flashing, not bolt directly to roof. See my other posts.

Both are sure to get on your hands and every tool you are using.;)
  • Batikikik

what about sikaflex 1a ???
    And what is the diffference between sikaflex , loctite and roof jack cement???
    which on you have to use where ?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    For shingles not much option other then screws through roof, preferable into rafter studs. I have mineral paper on flat roof which is similar. I bought keg of asphalt (very inexpensive), a large inexpensive pot, and a 1 kW electric single burner for about $15. Axe off chunks of asphalt and melt it in the pot.

I coated the penetration lag points with hot ashalt. (just be careful you don't drip hot tar on you).

Actually, pure tar weathers very poorly, you need to sprinkle sand or gravel on it, to protect the tar from the UV .
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Have used Sonneborn NP-1, for over a decade. It is a single part Polyurethane caulk/sealant, and holds up very well in constant sun exposure, and has great adhesive properties.

The PL sealant, I think, is exactly the same as the NP1, by aroma -- it smells kinna like chocolate.

Personally, I prefer the NP-1 and the PL over the Sikaflex. The chemestry is different than Sika, and have found that the NP-1 chemestry to be more compatible with the surfaces that I've encountered.

NP-1 link:
    http://www.dhcsupplies.com/store/p/2-Sonolastic-NP1-Sealant.html

The Roof Tar products become ever-more brittle. THe Urethane products remain very elastic, and bond very well to almost all substrates (BUT not Polyethelene). Just MHO. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Well.. i've had real good results with a compound called BOSTIK 1100 seals tight and is still slightly pliable and does not crack.
  • Solarseeker
    Solarseeker Registered Users Posts: 9

I am a newbee with no personal experience, but one of the vendors was adamant that geocell was the best on th market. They said it can be used on WET or OILY surfaces and has a life of 50yrs.

With all that said, when I called the company, they said that their warranty was for only 5yrs. I mean, if they are that confident to claim 50 yr durability, why only a 5yr warranty?
    http://www.geocelusa.com/php/oic/product.php?prdb_product_id=7