Laptop Power

Options
Art
Art Solar Expert Posts: 32
Hi Guys,
Not exactly a beginner when it comes to electronics, but new to much of the math involved.

I'm looking to solar power a laptop computer in a very remote location,
and would like as much up time as possible for the laptop.

I thought about using a generator to charge a car battery, but don't think I'd like the noise.

It looks like I'm going to fork out for a larger panel. What size panel do you guys think I'd need?
I plan on charging a seperate car battery, and I can charge/power the laptop from that.
I understand the pitfalls with using a car battery in place of deep cycle battery.
Cheers, Art.

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Laptop Power

Laptops and their chargers have quite a range of power consumption.

Newer the better, dependent on programs running, etc.

As to worse case, take a look at charger output voltage and current rating. This would be the maximum. (something like 20vdc, 3.5 amps)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Beware most of the "lap top solar kits" that are out there. They over promise, under deliver and overcharge on a per watt/hour basis.

General draw for a lap top might be ~50-75 watts. ( Confirm with a kill-a-watt meter ~$20)

Another quick easy calculation is to take the name plate rating of a Pv panel, divide it by 2 to account for system loses, multiply that number by 4 which is the average number of hours of good sun one might expect. (Might be less, but is seldom more). This number give you the average number of watt/hours you can expect per day.

So let's say you have a lap top that draws 50 watts and you wish to run it 8 hours
    8x50=400 watt/hours.

To get ~400/wh/day you would need say 200 watts of PV/2x4=400

That allows no reserve for cloudy days etc. Also if you are charging a system battery (deep cycle type) and then plugging your lap top into that system there would be additional loses.

Play with the numbers and see how it works out.

Tony
  • Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32
    Options

I don't plan on using a commercial laptop solar kit or anything like that,
    but you're saying even a large 100 Watt panel would hardly suffice? :(
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Assuming it is on or near somewhere on the PV Watts website, you can use it to estimate the output of a solar PV system.

Some basics, assume a location (Learmonth, Aus), assume that you are using AC power and a ordinary lead acid deep cycle batter with AC inverter gives you deratings of:

0.77 charge controller and solar panel derating
    0.80 flooded cell lead acid derating
    0.85 reasonably efficient AC inverter (or DC adapter for laptop)

0.77*0.80*0.85= 0.52 end to end efficiency

From the PV Watts website (fixed solar panel, use 1 kW as the panel size (sorry, minimum allowed by the program:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Learmonth"
    "State:","AUS"
    "Lat (deg N):", -22.23
    "Long (deg W):", 114.08
    "Elev (m): ", 6
    "Weather Data:","IWEC"

"PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 22.2"
    "Array Azimuth:"," 0.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 0.1 A$/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value (A$)"
    1, 7.64, 105, 0.09
    2, 7.37, 92, 0.08
    3, 7.49, 104, 0.09
    4, 6.52, 89, 0.08
    5, 5.71, 82, 0.07
    6, 5.20, 73, 0.07
    7, 5.53, 82, 0.07
    8, 6.58, 95, 0.09
    9, 7.42, 104, 0.09
    10, 7.88, 112, 0.10
    11, 7.79, 105, 0.09
    12, 7.68, 106, 0.10
    "Year", 6.90, 1151, 1.04

That gives you around 73-112 kWhrs per month of "AC Power" per 1,000 watts of panels... Or:
    • 73kWhr per month / 30 days per month = 2.433 kWhrs per day min or 2,433 Watt*Hours per day minimum per 1,000 watts of panels
    Now, lets say you use the smallest netbook laptop out there that runs around 20 Watts average from the AC plug.
    • 24 hours per day * 20 watts = 480 Watt*Hours per day
    The minimum power was 2,433 Watt*Hours per day from 1,000 watts of panels
    • 480 Watt*hours per day * 1/2,433 WH per day per 1,000 watt of panel = 197 watts of solar panel
    So, you need to do similar measurements on your intended loads... Find the Australian (or where ever you are) version of the Kill-a-Watt meter to measure your AC loads, and you can also get a DC version of an Amp*Hour/Watt*Hour meter to measure your DC loads.

Battery sizing, normally, we recommend 3 days of no-sun and 50% maximum discharge--so that works out to a battery bank 6x your expected daily load for best life and optimum costs.
    • 480 Watt*Hours * 3 days * 1/0.50 discharge * 1/0.85 invtr eff * 1/12 volt battery bank =282 Amp*Hours at 12 volts
    A "typical" 6 volt golf cart battery is 225 Amp*Hours -- so two of those connected in series for 12 volts would have 225 Amp*Hour capacity (20 hour discharge rate). So, they are still a bit small for this mythical application.

Remember the PV Watts is a 20 year average sun/weather based observation... Yours may be better or worse.

You will probably still need a small genset to charge the battery bank for bad weather... Ideally, size the generator for the charger/load needs. Most gensets are pretty efficient at 50-100% loading. Below 50% of rated load, they still consume 50% fuel flow (even down to zero Watt loading).

Some gensets (like the Honda euX000i inverter/generator line) are very quiet and efficient down to ~25% loading--but may be a bit pricey for your area.

Anyway, that is where I would start.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

By the way, Tony has a typo, that is 50 watts * 8 hours = 400 Watt*Hours of load.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not any more! LOL

Thnx Bill