Mounting question

Options
gpt
gpt Registered Users Posts: 18
I have a roof that is 9x25 ft. If I fit 2 rows of panels 62 inches long, there will be a little bit of an overhang. Is it an acceptable practice to mount them so they are about a foot above the peak? Thanks in advance

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Mounting question

If a good gust of wind comes from that direction, you may see some breakage. Otherwise, they seem like they would sit there just fine.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Mounting question

If this is a "building permitted" installation--you probably would need the signoff of a PE (Professional Engineer) anyway--And this should be exactly what he will be signing off for (based on the rating of the panels, racking system, and your peak winds in your area).

Given that people mount arrays on exposed mounts (ground, tower, 1 and 2 axis trackers, etc.)--I don't see an issue unless the mounts are two far from the cantilevered ends (basically, the standard is to mount the rails 1/4 in from each edge. If not mounted this way, then the loads are not evenly distributed across the panel frame and mounting hardware.

Unirac has some good information (even for the PE) on their rack mounting hardware... Looking through there may give you some ideas.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset