few questions about solar power....

12346»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,595 admin
    A 48 VDC (or 24 or 12 VDC) "gold cart" is much easier to charge with solar panels and an off-the-self solar battery charger--Lots of brands/models to choose from.

To figure out your range, we need to know what the Watt*Hours / Mile, kWH/km, etc. to figure out if solar "makes sense" for your needs. For "electric cars", they get around 250 to 500 Watt*hours / Mile (we can convert to metric--Something like 155 to 310 WH / km as a rough comparison.

You can, for example, use 5*12 volt panels in series (roughly 5*18volts Vmp = 90 Vmp-array) with lots of MPPT solar charge controllers.... So, like 5*140 Watt panels = 700 Watt array). Just an example... There are lots of panels of various wattages and Vmp voltages out there--You just need to figure out what you need for your system.

Using PV Watts for Manilla, "flat mounted array":

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

Just using "average" sun for the year, 4.75 hours of sun per day (2.90 to 6.18 hours per day depending on month)... A 700 Watt array would harvest on an average day:

700 Watts * 0.61 DC system efficiency * 4.75 hours of sun per day = 2,028 WH per day

Using a (sort of conservative guess) of 310 WH per km:

2,028 WH / 310 WH per km = 6.54 km per "average" day harvest from a 700 Watt flat mounted array

If you drive once per week, then 7x farther range of 45.8 kM per week...

If your "cart" is much more efficient (155 WH per km), then the range would be 2x that...

I have no idea what the range of an "average" golf cart/small EV is... but this web site:

https://thegolfmine.com/far-will-a-golf-cart-go-on-full-charge/

18 to 30 miles per charge--Of course, no quick table of battery bank size per vehicle--So a bit of an open question (needs more research)....

In any case, I am not going to research that table, be cause these are US models... And you need information on EVs that are available in your area.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • corporal_Canada
    corporal_Canada Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭
    i guess you either forgot about me or something in your life is making you occupied, regardless, i hope things improove
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,595 admin
    I did reply on September 7th, with post #152, just about your question(?) here on #153..

I have been busy, finishing up my sister's estate after she died, one of my daughters just got married a few weeks ago, my father-in-law just died several months ago and was taking care of "issues" yesterday at the mortuary for him... Taking care of his widow's home and her. So yes, I have been busy addressing real life.

What is your question(s)(?). In post #152, I calculated the estimated range of a generic electric vehicle, I had some actual numbers from (USA) "golf carts", talked about 12-48 VDC motive power systems being "easier" to add solar too. I showed how the math works for "arbitrary" solar panels in Manila, how many "miles per day" charging gives a "golf cart". I suggested what questions to ask your EV dealers (motive bank voltage/AH/battery type/ability to add external (solar) charging too, etc...

Warmest Regards,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    This whole thread needs to be cast in gold. It is about a person who has no technical comprehension but wants to do "something," going from website to website comparing the BS answers and then coming back here.

Wisdom is being wasted here. But I understand it is for the future. But it really sucks when wisdom is compared with the lack of it. It sucks when you have no comprehension of things necessary.

I think this thread has gone on long enough.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JRHill said:
    This whole thread needs to be cast in gold. It is about a person who has no technical comprehension but wants to do "something," going from website to website comparing the BS answers and then coming back here.

Wisdom is being wasted here. But I understand it is for the future. But it really sucks when wisdom is compared with the lack of it. It sucks when you have no comprehension of things necessary.

I think this thread has gone on long enough.
    Ya think. 
    Poor bill puts so much thought into his comments and it sems like he's wasting his time, talking to a wall. Bill you're a saint. At least your comments won't be wasted by others with some comprehension

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.