Issue replacing a bad battery.

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
I have done this many times in the past. But I have not been very active and memories have faded. Always had a solid spark in the past. This time I had a shower of sparks and significant connector damage. The circuit breaker box and inverter were all turned off - I thought. But the more I think about it the more convinced I am that the inverter connection was not successfully turned off. Outback 3648.

I know most of you will tell me to replace the whole bank and post some pics etc. Fine - but I need to replace one battery. It is the same as the others.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    ...time I had a shower of sparks and significant connector damage.
    A shower of sparks can't happen without completing a connection. So somewhere there is a complete connection. Are these 2 parallel strings of batteries? Could you have accidentally reversed polarity?

As always, double check the polarity and connections. 
    Best of luck!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Options
    Got to report on yet another "electrical gremlin" I have encountered. Lost functionality in 2 of the 3 ceiling fan lights in the sunroom a couple months ago. Somehow resetting the main circuit breaker has those lights working again.

My late father was a medical electrician for 4 decades. On more than one occasion he watched me working on an electrical issue and shook his head while saying "that's impossible". I have electrical issues.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    Got to report on yet another "electrical gremlin" I have
    Photowhit said:
    softdown said:
    ...time I had a shower of sparks and significant connector damage.
    A shower of sparks can't happen without completing a connection. So somewhere there is a complete connection. Are these 2 parallel strings of batteries? Could you have accidentally reversed polarity?

As always, double check the polarity and connections. 
    Best of luck!

It does act like reversed polarity! I've checked that several times. Even tried a different battery in the series with the same result.

I have two 48v banks - serial 12v's.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited August 2022 #5
    Options
    It surprised me... But the Rolls battery manual says to verify battery polarity/markings are correct:

https://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Rolls_Battery_Manual.pdf
    Perform a voltage check to confirm the battery polarity and marking of the terminals are accurate.
    I wonder how often that error occurs?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    edited August 2022 #6
    Options
    BB. said:
    It surprised me... But the Rolls battery manual says to verify battery polarity/markings are correct:

https://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Rolls_Battery_Manual.pdf
    Perform a voltage check to confirm the battery polarity and marking of the terminals are accurate.
    I wonder how often that error occurs?

-Bill

Having reversed markings would be incredible. As is my eventual conclusion. I had an extra cable hooked up that I was unable to re-hook up.

Another incredible event took place. I replaced a bad battery with an early A.M. reading of 11.7 volts. Voila, another battery now has an early A.M. reading of 11.7 volts. 

But I remain hopeful that the late afternoon rain and lack of the second string (for several hours) were responsible for lower than normal A.M. voltage read out - 49.2 volts.

Perhaps I over reacted to the Covid "phenomenon". Running 5 freezers and 2 fridges here. LOTS of food but it does consume a lot more energy than previous.

Early A.M. voltages of 49.4 to 49.6 were the norm prior to a battery going bad. Now I see 49.2 with a bad battery.

The Energizer batteries were better than the Duracells until a cell completely failed. The Duracells just go bad without a catastrophic cell failure. The Energizer's alll seem to go bad from catastrophic cell failures. Doing surprisingly well until a cell fails. All in all - I'd say they have similar value. Both a low value for an 8D but I still likely got close to my monies worth - in my opinion. I used to be able to get these batteries for $190 when Sam's Club carried them. They are serviceable if you have enough to prevent overnight voltage from dropping below 12.2 volts. This is just random speculation on my part. Of course Deep Cycle batteries are better for solar power.