JK BMS, hoping someone has some experience with these

Options
dbarnard67
dbarnard67 Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
I have a 16s JK-BMS 200A.  I have it wired up fine and have all of the connections tight, but cannot get it to start.  I have tried to get it to power on by applying the 9v battery across the P- B- and still no light to show it is on.  Does anyone know any way to start these things?  I have tried to bring up the charge controller ahead of time but if it doesn't see the 48v will not come up.  BMS won't allow the 48v to pass through so the charger doesn't see it to power on.  Vicious cycle.  Needing to get this pack up and tested but this thing is being picky.  Just hoping someone has some "trick" that is safe, but also effective.  :)

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might describe your system a bit, What batteries do you have?

Guess you have been through the support? I didn't see a manual...

SUPPORT - JK BMS

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    I can, but it primarily revolves around the LifePO4 battery pack I built and the BMS not starting, which is independent of the system.  3.2v 200ah prismatic cells (16) with busbars, midnite classic 250 solar charge controller.  These are wired in series and the BMS is hooked up per the wiring instructions.  voltages have been verified on the pins of the sensor leads.  However, it needs a 5 volt overage from what the battery pack reads.  Support says to jump a 9v battery across the lead to start it but this does not work.  Just was looking to see if anyone had used these in the past and knew of a trick to get them to start.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try momentarily jumpering P- to B-.
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Quick update, upon further inspection of these BMS units, the place I got them had already attached the battery lugs.  When I got to really looking, they had not been crimped.  Therefore, only making limited contact.  I have removed them and found that 2 were not even hydraulically crimped.  I am in the process of recrimping new tinned lugs on the ends and going to retest.  Friendly reminder, when building your own, always make sure to check someone else's work, and especially your own.  I build these as a separate battery with connecting to any of my equipment.  Then test that everything is good before connecting to inverter and charge controllers.  This BMS powers itself from the battery (can be from an external power source as well).  Will let everyone know how it turns out.