solar battery recharge systems for running weather stations

Options
bretmon
bretmon Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi, everyone thanks for accepting me.
Just a question ? New to this so bear with me. I have been running a relatively cheap weather station, in fact this is my second one. The system came with a solar recharge panel located and attached above the battery compartment. After reading up on the problems associated with these systems ;IE battery compartment had to be out in the sun so the solar array would charge, and the problems with bad weather, heavy rain, allowing water to enter the battery compartment and causing issues. I have since removed the solar panel and moved the battery compartment under cover to protect it from the elements (which made the solar array de-funked) and now use rechargeable batteries via an indoor plug in type battery charger. 
The problem, of cause means regularly changing the rechargeable batteries, on around a monthly basis, (very annoying) other than that the system works very well.
My question is ?? I have a solar array charging a spot light that is used very rarely but is handy none the less. The array panel came with the spot light and runs a chord to the solar panel and plugs in to the spotlight. I am wondering if perhaps it would be possible to link that array to my weather station to charge the batteries as well as the spot light batteries ??? Since the spot light is only used on rare occasions the batteries don't need to be charged as often but would serve to charge the batteries on the weather station.
Hope that all makes sense, Look forward to any responses and suggestions if any like minded people have done this.
Thankyou.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What voltages does the spotlight & weather station run on ?
      A 4.5V panel for the spotlight won't do much at all to recharge a 12V WS battery.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,