Rejuvenating Taylor Dunn SC-100-24 battery cart?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
So I took a chance on this cart at a Ritchie Bros timed auction. They provide minimal information of timed auction lots - that usually fetch less than $500. Paid $280 figuring the batteries might be worth more than that. Few people have significant battery knowledge it seems.

But there are only 4 golf cart type batteries. They were put into service in 2015. Trying to rejuvenate the 24 volt system right now. The battery voltage was very low - around 2.5 on 3 out of 4 batteries. One battery seems much newer - that battery gets hotter when charging.

No keys for ignition. Plus completely derailed tires - looks like the cart was shoved sideways with no air in tires.

Thinking it might be great for my 80 year old uncle who still farms in spite of losing a lower leg in his youth. With a carrying capacity of about 400 pounds it may also prove useful for my fledgling tree and lot clearing enterprise. At 62 - I can't carry the weight I used to.

These sell for $7000 new. Useful input?

Poster here because the greatest questions regard the battery array. They show 27 volts under charge - 20 volts shortly after charger is disconnected.
httpscdnshopifycomsfiles101153122productsStandard-SC-Yellow_grande_311bba78-8e30-4700-80df-100dc7b9e7f3jpgv1412549203

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Looks like a neat solution for your uncle...

May want to look at the roads/paths your uncle uses. Figuring out how to put wide/dual tires on it to better avoid sinking into soft spots (and then the issue of how to get it free). If soft/mucky ground--I fear those tires are a bit on the small side (larger diameter would be good too--But then other issues such as gearing and room for tires).

And--That thing is really calling out for an electric which of some sort.  :D

Otherwise, for your needs over unimproved land--Perhaps you can find a deal on two wheel tractor sort of power unit (and articulated trailer):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_tractor

With the right wheels+tires--They seem to be used heavily in swampy rice fields and such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Anybody know a way to bypass the key function? If a car can be hot wired then a cart can also be.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    BB. said:
    Looks like a neat solution for your uncle...

May want to look at the roads/paths your uncle uses. Figuring out how to put wide/dual tires on it to better avoid sinking into soft spots (and then the issue of how to get it free). If soft/mucky ground--I fear those tires are a bit on the small side (larger diameter would be good too--But then other issues such as gearing and room for tires).

And--That thing is really calling out for an electric which of some sort.  :D

Otherwise, for your needs over unimproved land--Perhaps you can find a deal on two wheel tractor sort of power unit (and articulated trailer):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_tractor

With the right wheels+tires--They seem to be used heavily in swampy rice fields and such.

-Bill

Well I just got myself a Navigator 5500 forklift. But at 8 1/2 feet wide it is not currently super portable. Still - coolest toy ever.

Skid steers are just ridiculously expensive. They do not depreciate like one would expect. Plus I need high flow with about 110 HP and 10,000 lbs. or more. To properly run tree mulching/land clearing equipment.

It would be difficult to properly get into the business without spending at least $300,000 - though I am trying hard.
  • softdown
    edited August 2021 #5
    Options
    So the three 2015 batteries have charged to 6 volts. The newer battery died while charging with the rest however. Sitting at 3.5 volts.
    Another day will likely take the three up to 6.3/4 volts.

Uncle seems interested in the cart.

Can't hardly imagine something less useful than three marginal 6 volt batteries.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Schematic for your cart?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1536684/Taylor-Dunn-Sc-100-24.html?page=88#manual

Whole manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1536684/Taylor-Dunn-Sc-100-24.html

Batteries--Perhaps you can get them charged enough to debug the cart--But probably going to need a new set for operation(?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Got a key that works. But only one battery held at 6 volts. It has a built in 24 volt charger - that periodically makes a clicking sound - every few seconds. Makes the proper sounds but not enough voltage to do anything but make sounds.

Think I'll buy a few batteries and donate it to my uncle. Seems he could use it on the farm.