9000 watt 30 volt panels.. how to setup for off grid.

Options
wmuchaels
wmuchaels Registered Users Posts: 4
I just purchased 36 -250 watt trinia solar 30 volt panels. Im installing on my polebarns south facing roof. Needing direction on charge controllers, inverter for 50 amp@110 (rv). Fuse type and placement and if im building 48 volt battery bank how many batteries. Not needing to fully power for everyday use but for week long get aways. I also can add my 9k generator at 30 amps if the system cant carry a week on batteries and current solar output.. and yes im very green. Any and all input is appreciated.

Comments

• wmuchaels
    Options
    I have a small 12volt bank started with 6 . 85 amp hr interstate deep cycle batteries
  • wmuchaels
    Options
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop buying stuff!

Figure out your loads, No not 50amp 110v, but look at what you use and how you use it. In the end, it's the only way to build a system to meet your needs. If you really need 50 amps at 110v, that's 132,000 kWhs a day. A good sized forklift battery may store 30,000 kWhs and your array is like WAAAY too small.

Statements like "...how many batteries..." appears to show that you need to start from scratch.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First, it's good you are planning on 48V for such a large system

Now, stop.  Before spending any more $,  figure out what your loads are going to be.

Calculate your loads in Watt hours.. 
    800w coffee pot brews at 800w for 12 min ( that's 2/10 of an hour)  = 160wh
    coffee pot "keep warm"  60W for 8/10 hour (48min) = 48wh
    LED TV for 3 hours @ 70w = 210wh
    propane furnace blower 8 hours @ 210w = 1,680 wh
      and so on, using your appliance #'s

And now, what are the coldest temps you expect in 50 years to see at the site?  20F  -20F ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wmuchaels
    Options
    Rv system requires 50 amp at 110.that is just for start up of ac units. So it is not a continuous draw. I don't need 24/7 i rarely will be in the camper for more than 3 or 4 days at any given time. I could buy a 6600k generator that does push 50 amp at 110. Given that most inverters have a surge allowence for immediate draws. It leaves to question why  someone will say i need 4xs the amount of panels. Not trying to run max output 24/7
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wmuchaels said:
    Rv system requires 50 amp at 110.that is just for start up of ac units. So it is not a continuous draw. I don't need 24/7 i rarely will be in the camper for more than 3 or 4 days at any given time. I could buy a 6600k generator that does push 50 amp at 110. Given that most inverters have a surge allowence for immediate draws. It leaves to question why  someone will say i need 4xs the amount of panels. Not trying to run max output 24/7
    ...and we still don't know what you need.

There are some on line, off grid calculators that might help you figure out what you need, load wise.

Here's one, no reason to submit it if you don't want their input, it will do the math for you;

Off Grid Solar Load Calculator | Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (solar-electric.com)

We can make lots of assumptions and give you all sorts of calculations that have nothing to do with your actual needs. It's easy to 'over spend' and still not have a good setup for your situation. You have a huge amount of solar panels, likely more than you need. If we get you location we can do a rough calculation of what size battery bank the array can support, but that still doesn't address your needs.

Will your RV be mobile? I'm guessing it will be fixed since there would be no room for that array on your RV.  Where will it be? This helps us figure out how much sun/energy is available in your location. Will you be setting up the array with direct exposure to the southern sky, or will there be cloudy time, or a need to face in another direction? With a large array, you might well be best served by splitting your array into a southeast and south west facing group.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.