deleted

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
deleted

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Grow a winter garden as well as all year gardening. Barter with good neighbors. Caning is on the list also along with hunting. This is basic offgrid in my opinion.  Inflation is for grid folks to worry about. Different animal.

The tiny rural county where I live is very backwards in time. It is often said (by tourists) we look like we just started walking on all fours recently. I usually respond that half of the people here can operate a backhoe and hunt for their own food all year long.

I know you are into prepping but offgrid has always been the ultimate in prepping. Always!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Canning lids are scarce right now. Fridges and freezers? Impossible - I hear. 
    Look into reusable canning lids, Tattler have been around for years, and there's a new company competing with them now. I use Tattler rings with 4ever recap lids. 4ever is a former failed competitor to Tattler, that tried to use silicon rings which had a high failure rate, but they work fine with Tattler rings and and they have a 'bead' around the top, so they stack nicely!

https://reusablecanninglids.com/products

This is a new competitor;
    https://canninglids.com/product/regular-lids-gaskets/

The Nitrile rubber gasket is reusable many times, I think Tattler did a 30(maybe more) replete seal run on them. 
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW - you need to hope for a limited collapse. If everything shuts down, we are toast! 

You will only need 2 months supply of food, since without electric, gas, water... most people have less than a 2 week supply of food on hand, and we have these big targets outside that say we have electric and likely have done at least some minimal prepping...

Lots of trained killers will be doing what they have to to feed their families...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Please do not go down that road here... We are not a gun forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are bring me down , I don’t sleep as it is 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Dave Angelini
    Me neither, but that is what George Noory is for. We probably could go a year here and we are far enough out that few know we are here. In fact, many of my clients are so remote they know they are on their own. Probably very big reason they chose the lifestyle.
    E-mail [email protected]

• wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    It is not a coincidence , that I have a off grid home on the top of a Mountain in the middle of no where 🤷‍♂️
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Please do not go down that road here... We are not a gun forum.

-Bill
    Yet this is ok: "Lots of trained killers will be doing what they have to to feed their families..."

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    The common-sense approach is to lay in what supplies you can manage, and this includes far, far more than food. IMHO, it is critical to store enough "stuff" to be able to help others a bit when needed.

If things get rough, a mutual support system is worth more to me than gold. One or two people cannot possibly know/do everything at the same time.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Just trying to guide conversations away from topics that we do not address... Nobody has been stealth edited or deleted.

Living in and supporting a civil society is much better than trying to survive a civil war or total economic collapse.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    BB. said:
    Just trying to guide conversations away from topics that we do not address... Nobody has been stealth edited or deleted.

Living in and supporting a civil society is much better than trying to survive a civil war or total economic collapse.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Exactly why we no longer save the old wines for better days  ;) 
     The same reason a naval aviator has a wingman also. Nice to have someone check your six B)
    E-mail [email protected]