Hooking battery up to genset?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
Got my 10HP diesel genset after 8 years! Guy is closing his repair shop, Been so long that I don't remember most, 

There is only the red cable for the battery. Thinking I can simply ground the negative terminal? 

I don't think it used to be this way. 8 years though. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    edited October 2020 #2
    The cable that ran to designated ground disappeared. No problem. But a battery fails to start it.

Most promise was on the third pull. It stumbled/started for 3 seconds. Later efforts yielded maybe 1 1/2 seconds. Then nothing at all. Not even a stumble. It is getting fuel from appearances.

Currently suspecting old diesel fuel? It is 2012 - perhaps even older. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to purge that old diesel fuel, change the fuel filter and soak the injector for a couple days in acetone.   Maybe take the injector afterwards to a diesel shop and have them "Pop Test" it for function (only a couple bucks)

Not sure about your fuel pump condition, if it got gunked up or not.

Old diesel gets gummy and plugs up the injector, so all the lines need flushing. then you have to purge the air.  some systems are self purge, some are manual.

And what is the fuel spec for your engine ?  is the engine rated for the new low sulfur fuel ?  If not, you need to mix some 2 cycle oil into the diesel, 100:1 or even 200:1 is supposed to work.   The old gear needs the lubrication the fuel used to provide, for the pump and injector moving parts.
     When you re-assemble - put a tablespoon of crankcase oil into the injector port, and pull the engine thru a couple times, the extra oil will help the rings seal for better compression / start
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    mike95490 said:
    You have to purge that old diesel fuel, change the fuel filter and soak the injector for a couple days in acetone.   Maybe take the injector afterwards to a diesel shop and have them "Pop Test" it for function (only a couple bucks)

Not sure about your fuel pump condition, if it got gunked up or not.

Old diesel gets gummy and plugs up the injector, so all the lines need flushing. then you have to purge the air.  some systems are self purge, some are manual.

And what is the fuel spec for your engine ?  is the engine rated for the new low sulfur fuel ?  If not, you need to mix some 2 cycle oil into the diesel, 100:1 or even 200:1 is supposed to work.   The old gear needs the lubrication the fuel used to provide, for the pump and injector moving parts.
     When you re-assemble - put a tablespoon of crankcase oil into the injector port, and pull the engine thru a couple times, the extra oil will help the rings seal for better compression / start
    Alright - thanks for the ideas!

Fuel is a simple gravity feed from ~4 gallon tank. It doesn't flow as fast as I thought it would. Maybe 1/2 as fast. I can easily replace that line with new fuel line. 

I'd guess this genset was made around 2005 to 2008ish. Not very high tech. It does have a Bosch injection system, And a dirty, very dirty, air filter that we could never find a replacement for. In fact I am wondering if that is much of the problem. I seem to have a vague memory of having to run it without the air filter. Just using cloth.

So I can pull the injector and soak it in acetone? I think it lies next to the fuel input and slightly resembles a spark plug?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Yes, the injectors typically look like a spark plug body (all metal), with a high pressure fuel line connected at the top.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The injector plumbing is much like high pressure brake line, steel with flare style fittings.   They have to be spotless to seal, and only takes 1/8 turn of wrench after snug, The antique injector pop-off pressure is about 2,000psi, as gear gets newer, pressures went way up.

BEWARE:  the spray pattern from an injector is just like a hypo-spray,  but 100's of times stronger, if it injects diesel mist under your skin, the flesh around it will die, painfully, over several days
    https://litfl.com/high-pressure-injection-injury/
    https://www.constructionequipment.com/hydraulic-injection-injury-insidious-potentially-devastating
      “Pressurized fluids travel at bullet speed and can penetrate deep under the skin. The injured person may feel only a slight ‘electric shock’ or pricking sensation. Rarely does the initial pain indicate the actual severity of the injury. What looks like a simple puncture wound is, in fact, life threatening.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0murXedDws

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    Makes sense now. The diesel separated some and "wax" gummed up the injector. That is probably why the condition worsened after starting for 3 seconds.