Used Solar Panels

1popeman
1popeman Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
Hi, I am here to ask questions about used solar panels. I was given 30 used solar panels. I know that solar panels have improved since these panels were made. I have tested the voltages on all of the panels and they are @ about 95% capacity.
Here is my question, since these panels work fine and they are free why not use them?
I also need to know what inverter to use. The array has a combined output of 7500 watts. They are KYOCERA KC167G panels.
I want to use these panels on a house on Kauai.
Any information is appreciated .

Tom

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are pretty old panels. Kyocera makes a great product though. Off grid they should be fine. If you are planning on a grid tie system, there may be problems with used equipment. You will not qualify for any Federal tax rebate.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They appear to be UL certified, shouldn't be any problem for any type of installation.

Checking the panels by sticking a meter on them without a load, you are looking at the VOC numbers. I don't doubt that they are fine though. Looking at the numbers I would assume they are 48-54 cell panels. These were originally intended for grid tie, but work great off grid with MPPT type charge controllers.

https://americas.kyocera.com/press-releases/press-releases_20150319386.htm
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.