Need Xantrex XW6048 older firmware

Options
hvillegas1966
hvillegas1966 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
First time post and just registered to this forum.
Looking for  little bit of help if anyone would know where or who might have old version 1.05 firmware for my Xantrex Xw6048. I would like to use it as AC coupling with solaredge inverter. I am at version 1.07 but cannot see it on my SCP panel, although it is available on the combox but does not do anything when I enable the ac coupling setting on combox. 
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Explain more please. Have you tried a DC reset?  Just an FYI, build 1.07 is needed on xw for combox to work correctly with XW6048. Going backwards in firmware is not a good idea, why do you think it is please?

You probably know that xw6048 and combox are out of support. They are from an era when AC coupling was not implemented well or only worked with compatible makes of inverters.

Even now, AC coupling is a source of headaches or worse in small systems. Also hard to see what is happening with sources and devices that are not all on the same network.

AC coupling is best in a microgrid of homes (or a resort) with many sources of solar, and managed or monitored by a skilled user. Definitely not set it and forget it.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• hvillegas1966
    Options
    I recently bought a solaredge HD inverter and want to use my XW6048 as backup using my 460ah batteries as backup for my home. I did read that ac coupling was introduced with 1.05, so i'm wondering if it was disabled on 1.07. I did try to change setting in standby mode using the combox, as the setting is on there but not my SCP unit. 
    When you mention DC reset? do you mean power off completely?
    I was also wondering if the SCP firmware is not compatible 
    V02.04.00-0001
    Thank you much Dave
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe you need to update the combox firmware to see the new XW firmware ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    edited May 2020 #5
    Options
    FW20180323-Conext-ComBox-Firmware-Ver-3.08-BN874-150-0279-03-08

https://41j5tc3akbrn3uezx5av0jj1bgm-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/FW20180323-Conext-ComBox-Firmware-Ver-3.08-BN874-150-0279-03-08.zip

So, yea firmware needs to be correct all around and going backwards on XW is definitely not correct.
    Back in those days, the only grid inverters that were compatible, that I remember, were SMA and Xantrex. All of that changed in XW+ the new XWP. They work quite well now. You just need to be very careful with a small battery if you can make it shift frequency for charging.
     Good Luck 

• hvillegas1966
    Options
    Thank you Dave. I will give this firmware a try. 
    I'll update when test. 
  • hvillegas1966
    Options
    Dave,
    Looks like my combox is already at that level. Last week I did upgrade SCP and combox to what was on the Schneider website. Concern was, that maybe these firmwares don't work well with legacy XW6048.

Thank you again
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I know that they work just fine together with an SMA or Xantrex grid inverter. I really doubt they will work with what you have because there were many others that did not work in the 2010 era when people really started AC coupling en masse.

Ask Solaredge for guidance!

• hvillegas1966
    Options
    The real issue that I was trying to figure out is,  why don't I have the ac coupling feature on my SCP?
    I have it on the combox but seems to do nothing because if I change it on the combox, then reboot or next day go into settings,  it's disabled. 
    Maybe the trick is to exchange the solaredge for Xantrex grid tie but really like the optimizer feature on solaredge. 
    Thanks
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I see your point. FYI on xw+ and xwp AC coupling is on by default these days. What happens when you go into 6048 advanced settings, then advanced features on SCP ?

• hvillegas1966
    Options
    The SCP will force the Xantrex 6048 into standby and only 4 settings are available
    Remote power off 
    Power save
    Sell delay 40s
    Generator support plus. 
    Those are the only options under advance features thru SCP.

Regards, 
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    It looks like the SCP is good for firmware, is it 2.04 ? 
    So no faults or warnings logged and have you tested the frequency shift?
    One way to do that, in ac coupling, if you have a lead acid battery, is set the eq voltage up to 62+ v. As you start increasing  battery voltage the load frequency at the bottom of the inverter screen or on combox,  should go up from 60.0 hz.

Below is a Schneider/AEE curtailment or ac coupling link. I am going to bail on this as you may be as far as you can go with the old 6048.
    https://aeesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/AC-Coupling-and-Frequency-Shifting-DC2018.pdf

• hvillegas1966
    Options
    Thank you for advice Dave. I know being old, not much support from Schneider.