ripple voltage MPPT

Options
737800 Registered Users Posts: 4
hello folks, i have a Studer VT-80 and lately my mppt stop charging . i called the factory and i was told that the problems is the ripple voltage. i have an absorbtion at 66 volts and the overvoltage is 68,2. 
what should  i do?
if i increase the capacity of the battery can that fix the problem?
should i go with morning star that has an overvoltage of 72 volts?
thx so much
simone

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
     I assume a studer vt-80 is a solar charge controller ?
    PV panels produce DC, so I don't understand where ripple comes in ?   This doesn't make sense.

Can you describe the system a bit ?    How many watts of panels, charge controller, inverter, battery type and size
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Options
    yes the vt-80 is the mppt. i have a sun tracker with 1 kw and 4,3 kw fixed. i have 19S LIFEPO4 300Ah battery bank. and 1 inverter 8kw. i was told the ripple is generated between the inverter and the battery and this can affect the mppt. i was told by studer to make the battery 16S beacuse in this way i lower the chance to get the mppt in to protection mode.the strange thing is that the system has been the same for the past 6 years and i have never had any issue.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have any of the battery connection conductors, controller to battery, battery to inverter been moved lately ?
    Are they in close proximity to each other and is there any sharing of raceway with the AC side? 
    Dose the problem exist only during certain times only such as when it approaches a fully charged state? 

The 19S is a strange arrangement, usually for a 48V nominal system 16S is used, can you share with us the inverter you are using.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Have any of the battery connection conductors, controller to battery, battery to inverter been moved lately ?
    Are they in close proximity to each other and is there any sharing of raceway with the AC side? 
    Dose the problem exist only during certain times only such as when it approaches a fully charged state? 

1) yes
    2) no
    3) no, it happens at any SOC
    4) XTH 8000-48 which can accept up to 70 volts.
    my 19S is charged up to 3,45 volts so it is 65.6 volts. and this value is way below the 68,2 which is the maximum the moot can charge up to with absorbtion. i will post a picture later on of the system

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #6
    Options
    With reference to the first question, try strapping the conductors, positive and negative together their entire length in each run to see if that makes any difference , a simple step in the process of elimination.

Your cell voltage setpoints are conservative, which is good, dose the voltage reduce to a float value or is that the terminal value? Just for my curiosity, nothing to do with the problem being experienced.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
    Options
    absorbtion 3,45 and float 3,4 
    check my old system in this video
    https://youtu.be/FhNkRk8dEbI