Thoughts on EPEVER v. Renogy MPPT Charge Controller?

Montanaclan
Montanaclan Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hi All,

I'm about to buy my first charge controller.  For an camper trailer, running 2x 500w panels through a 40 amp controller.   I'm presently using 2 older 12v flooded lead acid batteries that i had on hand, but I expect I'll build a LiFePO battery in the next year.  Like most everyone, I'm trying to balance quality and cost.  It seems there are a family of contollers in the $200 range, and then a jump to $500-600 range.   I'm drawn to lower end, recognizing that warranties there may be 2 years instead of 4 or 5 at the higher end.  

I'm currently looking at this EPEVER: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFKWPZM/

And this Renogy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JRNFY6/

Any advice/reactions/experience?  I like the idea of the data logging feature through the Renogy app, but have seen some unhappiness with the app itself.   Both have temp sensors and programmable low temp cutoffs, which will be important for a future upgrade to lithium.

Thanks!

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I just bought one of the Renogy controllers for a neighbor setting up a smaller system.  Hooked it up three weeks ago, and it has been working, getting his batteries totally charged.  All I can say about it is it works.

One problem I've heard before about Epever's is that their tracking algorithm is not the best written, and it sometimes gets confused when intermittent clouds are passing over.  Since I don't have any direct, hands-on experience with this, I'm just relaying second-hand information.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What 500 watt solar panels  are you using? You need to be sure the voltage is compatible with the controller

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Montanaclan
    edited May 2020 #4
    I see I made a mistake in my first post. I’m using Suniva 275w panels x 2.  Input voltage is 31v and pushing 9-10 amps at the top end, each. 
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    They seem to be quite similar with Epever being a newer brand. I like my Renogy 40 amp controller - for the money.

One thing about modern electronics. The auxiliary items are not easily available after a couple years due to firmware changes. Looks like I just bought the last external read out.

Something to be said for buying from the old giants that service their older electronics I think. But we pay for that of course.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at Victron MPPT controllers with bluetooth, I have a couple of friends who are very happy with them.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    I haven't tried the renogy  but I have used the epever 3210.
    Problem with them is low light  conditions. There tracking Is less than adequate.
    A cloud would come by and the Array volts  would drop from 60 to 13-15 volts and stick
    For extended periods of time.
    I could reboot The system and it would start
    Working again.
    On a clear day it worked fine.
    2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited May 2020 #8
    Most of Renogy's controller line is [actually or effectively] rebadged EpEver gear.  

The EpEver controller with the least-robust MPPT algo appears to be the N-series.  I own both an N- and A-series EpEver and the A is faster to readjust to big changes in insolation or uneven panel shading.  I have lived offgrid for 1.5yrs on the 40A N-series with good results.  But if I were doing it again I'd probably save a few bucks and get the older 40A A-series controller.

• Montanaclan
    Thanks everyone. I’m going to go with the Epever for now as my first entry. We’re mostly in open country when camping, and I figure that I’m likely to upgrade in a year or two. Ill probably repurpose this controller to another project at that time and go with a more robust controller for the rv at that time. Unless it works out fine for our purposes. 
  • Montanaclan
    fratermus said:
    Most of Renogy's controller line is [actually or effectively] rebadged EpEver gear.  

The EpEver controller with the least-robust MPPT algo appears to be the N-series.  I own both an N- and A-series EpEver and the A is faster to readjust to big changes in insolation or uneven panel shading.  I have lived offgrid for 1.5yrs on the 40A N-series with good results.  But if I were doing it again I'd probably save a few bucks and get the older 40A A-series controller.
    ………

The model I’m looking at is the 4210AN... do you know where this firs in your A vs. N experience, or have they abandoned one of the lines?
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    The model I’m looking at is the 4210AN... do you know where this firs in your A vs. N experience, or have they abandoned one of the lines?
    Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.  The AN is the A-series with "negative ground" (ie, high-side switching).  AFAIK the algo is unchanged. 
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    I used a renogy 40 amp mppt controller for 2 years , it work good but just stopped working ? 
     I could restart it and it would work again till it stoped working . 
     There was no tech  support whatsoever ,  no repair I think it cost 200 bucks I ended up with a out back cc I should of started with one in the first place . 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .