Think I know why electric fence alarm keeps sounding off?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Put this here because it is solar powered and electric fences are sort of common for off gridders.

Today I installed another electric line ~ 1' above the previous electric line. But I suspect I screwed up when they make contact, a lot in fact, above the entrance gate. The alarm detects cuts in the electric line. It is an electric fence security alarm.

Could get tricky because they almost have to touch at the very start and very end.

Does this suspicion make sense? I'm beat. Fencing in the sun is work.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What electric fence controller?

Perhaps you can run some stiff wire on insulators around the "complex areas" (like gate latches, etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    It is a Parmak Magnum 12 - kind of stout.

Got my 40" Sansui installed. Time to update - said I would try.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    I don't know, but connecting the output of two fence chargers together (shorted line), is probably something to be avoided (fence current flows from "sparking" controller to the controller that is "not sparking" at that moment (sort of like putting two car ignition coils together?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Just one controller. Operated one line with no problems. Today I installed another line ~ 12" above the previous line.

Shouldn't be too hard to insulate the new line where they make a lot of contact above the entrance gate. But they still start and stop at the same point. Might be exercise in futility without more configuring.

I'm going to get zapped some day. By "6000 volts". Just a matter of time.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You will get zapped at some stage, I bent down once  under a poly wire fence once but my wet shirt touched it, that, along with minimal footwear, gave me a punch in the back to remember, the charger is a 50KV version, not supprising the cows avoid it like the plague, even when it's turned off once they have learned their lesson..
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't add links to a quote that didn't originate with one!
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    Spammer between #6 and #7 posts has been removed/banned.

Sorry Mcgivor, I missed that one.

-Bill