GC2s and 8Ds are East Penn at Sam's

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Johnson Controls doesn't make all the FLAs. Guess I'd rather have an East Penn GC2 though I don't know the particulars. 

Interesting because I'm pretty sure that WalMart sells Johnson Controls lead acid batteries. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #2
    Options
    Sams's club selection use to vary by region.
    From what I recall the 'duracell' 6v gc were Penn and the 'Energizer' were Johnson Control.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit said:
    Sams's club selection use to vary by region.
    From what I recall the 'duracell' 6v gc were Penn and the 'Energizer' were Johnson Control.
    Correct - they dumped the Energizer 8D in favor of the Duracell 8D a few years ago. It really seemed like the Energizer/Johnson Controls 8Ds were deteriorating in quality as time passed.

My newest 9/19 8D only yielded 12.4 volts and will take a few days to charge at 4 amps. A small disappointment in what would appear to be a faster self discharge rate than I'd like. The other choices were 8/19. It appears their turnover is slower than they would probably like. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries