22F is too cold to work on truck coil springs.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Feels like 17F and there is snow on the ground. Working with cold steel as well - with the potential to break several bones in your hand. 

Mush as I needed to work on those coil springs - think I'll wait for warmer weather. Already had one coil spring compressor break. Got a new one that is eight times bigger. A monster. Overkill? How much are your hands worth. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What happened to a car jack under the wheel, jacking 3 tires off the ground, and using bailing wire to hold the spring compressed?

-Bill  :p
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Don't know about that. I did break one compressor that was fine for my old Fiat. Explorers have truck coils. Difficult for three reasons. Plus you have to super compress it to squeeze a big fat spacer in there. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #4
    BB. said:
    What happened to a car jack under the wheel, jacking 3 tires off the ground, and using bailing wire to hold the spring compressed?

-Bill  :p
    Knew a guy who had the nickname "Dent" because of a large dent in his forehead, how he got the dent was by using the bailing wire technique, unfortunately as he was removing the spring the wire snapped and the spring hit him in the forehead.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    -3F at 9am. Winter hath arrived a couple days early. Hit 49F in the bedroom, a bit unusual. Spent $10 on propane already this fall season. 

Dent was lucky to have survived that. Have never liked working with coil springs. That is why I bought among the biggest compressor: https://www.amazon.com/MILLION-PARTS-Universal-Interchangable-Compressor/dp/B06XNPVJC3/ref=sr_1_44?keywords=large+coil+spring+compressor&qid=1576772154&sr=8-44

Got my 3/4 ton Dodge with 488 next. The springs are much larger than the large Explorer coils. Some springs are easy enough, truck coils are never easy.