New to off grid, and need a little help on Gen settings

Options
dbarnard67
dbarnard67 Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
Hi all, I am new to the site and to off grid somewhat.  I have a dual fuel pulsar 10KW portable generator that I have a 50 amp 240 plug wired to my Schneider Conext xw+ 6848.  I am charging a 48v FLA bank.  When I start the generator sometimes it notices, the light blink while qualifying and then it locks in and all is good.  But more often than not it does not even blink to qualify it.  The SCP that is connected to the 6848 xw+ shows AC2 (the generator) online and producing 120V but I am not getting it qualified to charge the batteries.  Needing some desperate help on this one as the nights are getting cold and days are getting cloudy.  Thanks all.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #2
    Options
    What are the settings, Advanced Settings 》GeSupp Mode [ enabled  ], defult is [ disabled ] 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Hi Mcgivor, gensupp [enabled]  amps is [15] for the charge.  Qualifying watts are low [115]  high [124] and the frequency is [55] for low and [65] for the high. that is on the AC2 settings

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need to widen your qualifying VOLTAGE window.  Voltage should be 100V low & 135V hi
    Your Freq range should be 50 - 70 hz
     Unloaded generators generally don't have good voltage regulation and can go pretty high in voltage, but just a little load of 10 watts will settle it down.   But you need to get your inverter to qualify the generator, and the windows I gave, should allow it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dbarnard67
    Options
    Thanks Mike I will try that this morning.  I appreciate it.
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Mike, you are a lifesaver  Thank you. Widened those settings, plus thought about what you said. I also hooked up a small garage heater to the generator at the 120 side and fired it up before switching to the inverter  Bingo, qualified right away. Tha is again. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The other lifesaver is to set your max charge amps. XW+ will easily output 140A and will kill a GC battery bank in one year and an L16 the next year.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dbarnard67
    Options
    Just had these on a good charge and after about 4 hours the AC2 light went out but SCP shows it is still getting volts from it , just not qualified anymore and running on batteries 
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Hi Dave, I have the max charge amsp set, one of the first things I double checked this morning before testing
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Voltage and Frequency?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Voltage was the ones used above low 110v high 135v, frequency was low 50 and high 68,  wouldn't let me set it any higher.  Like I said, worked just fine for about 4 hours then just kicked off of qualified.  However, the SCP showed there was voltage on the AC2 (gen side) at 120V.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What was the voltage and freq that the SCP reads from the genset ?
    After the battery started charging, did you shut down the heater ?
    Your inverter for AC2, should have a voltage showing for L1 & L2, each around 120v, yielding the generic 240VAC.  What was each voltage on the L1,  L2 ?     it's possible the generator lost 1 leg of output, one reads OK, the other is bad ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dbarnard67
    Options
    Hmm, good question, it only shows AC2 at 120V but not the frequency on the SCP.  When things started charging I left the heater on.  It was working so did not want to mess with anything as the batteries were getting pretty low after 2 days and wanted to leave well enough alone if you know what I mean.  I guess that is possible just not sure how I see if it lost that other leg or not.  I will dig out of this 5 inch snow we just got and do some more on it.  Just not sure where to look next.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    The user manuals. If you learn it you will not have to rely on others and be safer offgrid. Offgrid is all about being independent! Good Luck!

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    And get yourself an AC+DC Current Clamp DMM... Something like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CY4FB4 (mid priced)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07546L9RT (low cost, good enough)

Great for debugging and better understanding your system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As mentioned, the inverter AC2 meters will show data for each leg. There should be frequency data. You can also look at the events/warnings on the inverter to see what it did. Might be some clues in there.  Could a big house load cause the voltage to drop? Maybe it was overloaded momentarily.  My understanding is that when the genset is on, it's essentially pass thru to house loads while at the same time charging the battery.

Using a meter to verify output will help. If the generator is old, it could need new throttle linkages. Worn linkages will cause problems.  But really could be almost anything. Need more data.
  • dbarnard67
    Options
    Hi jtdiesel65, I believe I have it sorted out.  Everything was good, Gen was new, but voltage regulator tested out as bad on it from factory.  I found it and got a new one and all is running.  After the manual comment above, I decided to avoid those types of snippy answers as I had exhausted the manual and was reaching out for some help or a second set of eyes as after looking at it for a few days was thinking I was looking at the same things over and over.  I appreciate you responding.  Now I have to figure out if I want to stay with these FLA batteries or not.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    We only know as much as you write here and so the comment may be snippy, but in the past there have been all sorts in this forum.
    The answer was also based on what Mike said and it seemed to me you had not exhausted the manual from what you were saying.

One example is a guy not using the user manual and trying to configure a system with the install manual.
    Another example was a guy going to the website for help and not know how to use a drop down manual. There are more! The equipment is very good and rarely the issue.

I also do this as a business and try to help with general info but there is a limit for me. Good Luck and glad you are charging.