Johnson Controls vs Enersys vs East Penn?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Preferences based on real data? Last I checked Johnson Control had moved to Mexico though a recent youtube vid called them a US manufacturer - I think. 

A lot of mechanics say that automotive battery quality has been deteriorating significantly for the past few years. They are frequently replacing batteries that are less than two years old. Prices have also been rising dramatically. A curious phenomenon. 

Johnson Controls is the battery giant. Enersys appears to be the smallest of the three. So far the difference in quality does not appear to be night and day - to these eyes. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of stuff  going on, Johnson Controls had much of a monopoly on the manufacturing  of flooded lead acid batteries in the US. I think their newish state of the art recycling plant in Florence SC is the last recycling plant in the US. They may have used their strength to 'pinched pricing' and make their bottom line look more attractive as they sold out last year;

https://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/johnson-controls-battery-recycling-division-sale/

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    I have seen a trend of price increases coupled with decreased quality and shiny packaging with slick marketing when old managers lose their drive and sell out to out to young, driven MBA's. Been going on for five decades. 

In this particular case, Johnson Controls had a history of doing almost anything to lower manufacturing costs and taxation. The quality of their Optima batteries took a real hit when they relocated Optima manufacturing to Mexico while significantly increasing the price of the battery. 

The new battery overlords shouldn't be too much worse. There is that. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Just changed out my s/o truck battery 7 years old made by Johnson controls.
    Replaced it with the same kind with hopes 
    it will last as long. Maybe not.

2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • softdown
    Just changed out my s/o truck battery 7 years old made by Johnson controls.
    Replaced it with the same kind with hopes 
    it will last as long. Maybe not.

Seems pretty doubtful now. For example Costco changed their battery warranty from 7 years to 3 years.