Expanding system

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
edited July 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
It's been a few days, and I'm pretty happy with the exterior lighting and water feature pump setup I have, except that due to tree obscured sunlight and often cloudy / rainy days my 100w panel is not keeping my battery topped off. 

So, I have a second 20A PWM controller that I hope can be pressed into service as a (12vdc NOT AC) wind turbine controller in parallel with the one for the PV but only ONE controller to turn on and off the loads. 

I've read a number of articles and even one by the controller maker (in the instructions) that say the controllers can be used in parallel with a single battery bank but everything I read was to use two PV's not a PV and wind generator.

Are there any no-no's or gotcha's with this type of setup? If this is a reasonable setup I can add my second and third water features and a water bubbler (for fish) to the system and likely more exterior lighting. Or will I have to use a wind controller along with the solar CC?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With wind it's my understanding that a diversion controller needs to be utilized to prevent overcharging, a dump load is typically used to divert any excess power the wind source may produced when not needed.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My understanding is a solar charge controller shouldn't be used for wind unless specifically designed to do so.  AFAIK, wind controllers typically have a properly sized "dump load" (eg water heater) which is needed to load the turbine when batteries are full to prevent overspeeding, and/or other wind-specific features depending on the turbine used.

As far as having two sources charging a single bank, that's fairly common.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wind Turbines need a DUMP load, or a braking controller.  They can share a solar battery bank, but you can't use a solar controller for wind.  You will need a Diversion controller and a high wattage dump load 2x the size of the turbine (500w turbine = 1Kw dump load)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• garynappi
    garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks all, I wrote a seller and he was gracious enough to reply and confirm what you all indicated.