2 Deka Forklift Batteries,,24 Volt, 500 AH @ 6Hr Rate (NEW) MFG 3-2016,,Never used,,1000 Lbs

Options
solar33
solar33 Registered Users Posts: 1
I have an opportunity to purchase these as I am in need of more amp hours as I expand my system. Question is they are new not ever used but sitting on a pallet for 3 years in a warehouse do you think they have suffered any deterioration over this time period they have been on a pallet and kept warm have had a charge on them a few times? 

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3 years, with self discharge what it is for lift truck batteries (could be looked up), I'd think they're toast.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For scrap value who knows you could get lucky, if you can measure the voltage and they are ~12.4V or more, it is possible they may still have some life, if as you say they have had an occasional charge. Just don't pay much more than scrap, that way there's little to loose, check local recyclers to get an idea of the value, for 375 pounds of lead acid  batteries I got $130 in Thailand at the recycling depo.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just recycled 2400 pounds of 15 year old Surrettes, got 30 cents per pound delivered to their yard.  And I thought I'd have to pay to have them removed, nice break.