vivekdaptare
vivekdaptare Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Solar panel maintenance is very costly?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 #2

Welcome to the forum

The panels themselves are extremely low maintenance, it's the other components, especially batteries, depending on chemistry which demand maintenance. Rule of thumb panels 25 years, occasional cleaning, electronics ~10 years +/-, batteries 5-10 years or less depending on how they're treated and what is chosen, or if they're needed in the first place.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • TheSunIsMyGun
    TheSunIsMyGun Registered Users Posts: 4

The average cost of an annual inspection for a household rooftop solar PV system is approximately $150.00. The average cost of having your panels cleaned by a reputable solar installation company ranges from $10.00 – $20.00 per panel.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

Cleaning a panel is like washing a window though safety issues may present. The panels are the easy part. Heavy rains will also clean them - enough - most of the time - in theory. I've never really cleaned my panels other than brushing off snow.

Part of the key to solar is proper installation. I did things right the first time and that is pretty free of problems. I experimented and stuff the second time - that system has occasional issues. It was mostly for fun anyway.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries