Trump Tariffs Hurt American Workers

Thanks, Trump #SMH.

Comments

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 28,773 admin
    I guess this is your concern:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trump+tariffs&atb=v122-1__&iar=news&ia=news

Tariffs are always a double edge sword:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/429571-solar-jobs-fall-amid-trump-tariffs

The solar power industry in the U.S. lost more than 3 percent of its jobs last year as it attempted to adjust to President Trump’s tariffs on imported solar panels.

The Solar Foundation said in its annual National Solar Jobs Census released Tuesday that the industry employed 242,343 people last year, down about 8,000 jobs, or 3.2 percent, from 2017.

It was the industry's second straight year of job declines. The foundation is blaming both the tariffs Trump imposed last year in an effort to protect domestic manufacturers and growing uncertainty over state-level solar incentives in key states like Massachusetts and California.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/talking-points/2019/02/11/steel-restart-construction-idled-plant-crediting-trump-tariffs/mhM2DjRJ1nhfZrVSF9AD7I/amp.html

US Steel to restart construction of idled plant, crediting Trump’s tariffs

US Steel Corp. will restart construction on an idled manufacturing facility in Alabama, and it gave some of the credit to President Trump’s trade policies in an announcement Monday. Trump’s ‘‘strong trade actions’’ are partly responsible for the resumption of work on an advanced plant near Birmingham, the Pittsburgh-based company said in a statement. The administration’s tariffs have raised prices on imported steel and aluminum. The manufacturer also cited improving market conditions, union support, and government incentives for the decision. Work will resume immediately, the company said, and the facility will have an annual capacity of 1.6 million tons. US Steel said it also will update other equipment and plans to spend about $215 million, adding about 150 full-time workers. The furnace is expected to begin producing steel in late 2020. The 16,000-member United Steelworkers praised the decision to resume work, which followed an agreement with the union reached last fall. — ASSOCIATED PRESS

And there is nothing like being the "little" guy in the room while the elephants dance:
    https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/business/article226149015.html
    WASHINGTON 

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he might let a March 2 deadline slide in trade talks with China if the two countries get close to a deal.

The U.S. is scheduled to raise import taxes on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods March 2 if the U.S. and China can't resolve their differences.

Trump said he's not inclined to extend the deadline, but he might let it "slide for a little while" if talks go well. Earlier, the White House had called March 2 a "hard deadline."

U.S. negotiators began mid-level talks with their Chinese counterparts in Beijing Monday. U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin are scheduled to step in Thursday for two more days of negotiations.

Countries have always used Tariffs to protect local industries.
    https://www.export.gov/article?id=Canada-Import-Tariffs
    Last Published: 12/14/2018
    Although Canada eliminated tariffs on all industrial and most agricultural products imported from the United States under the terms of NAFTA, tariffs and tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) remain in place on dairy and poultry tariff lines. Canada announced the elimination of MFN tariffs on baby clothing and athletic equipment (valued at C$76 million annually) in its 2013 federal budget. Canada proposed to permanently eliminate tariffs on mobile offshore drilling units in its 2014 federal budget.
    Trump renegotiating NAFT (North American Free Trade act) seemed to be very reasonable vs what was in place for the last few decades:
    https://www.thebalance.com/donald-trump-nafta-4111368
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

Tariffs are historically bad for economic growth and opinions will vary all over the place. I am of the opinion that something must be done to encourage US manufacturing viability. Most of the developed countries have mostly manufactured debt as China and India have parlayed the weakest economies into global powerhouses.

The power elite are all over the Chinese hybrid of hyper capitalism and state communism. The proles are so very affordable and controllable.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

So where do these monies go? I would hope the bulk, if not all goes directly to the industries that are being affected by the imported products. Kind of doubt it though.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric, 700 ah @24 volt AGM battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

I would almost guarantee the government will simply keep any funds that may be left over after their bureaucracy has wined and dined.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BigRockrBigRockr Registered Users Posts: 1

Duh! War is bad. You can avoid it but you do it for an outcome. Letting China be the only major power float their currency and still be a member of the World Financial Community is a joke. They dominate any market by BEING artificially cheaper. They innovate... NOTHING! Yeah, I would definitely quote "The Hill","Business Insider" etc. to prove a point...Grow up. Both are sponsored "news" sources. Good grief! Read a book.

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 28,773 admin
    edited April 15 #7

BigRockr,

Welcome to the forum.

Please feel free to post links/articles/other information to better educate everyone here.

Unfortunately (or just reality), is all information sites are pretty much sponsored by "somebody". News, university, government, etc.

Sincerely,

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc KurthMarc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

I am a free market guy by nature. Since the tariffs were put in place, my cost (at the distributor level) for Fullriver batteries is now higher than Concorde on certain of the heavier batteries.This has resulted in a large shift in sales to the American made Concorde product lines. Concorde is now running two shifts in California and their Georgia plant is running at full speed. Yet they are lagging a little behind for larger orders. I am quite sure that many of our large customers will stay with Concorde when the tariff's expire.

Is this an artificial manipulation of market forces? Yes, of course it is. I suspect that Concorde's big increase in business is viewed in a positive light in their boardroom.

Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • mcgivormcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah FLA 24V nominal used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why China of course the home of Full River!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Marc KurthMarc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, indeed. Fullriver batteries are manufactured in China. The design of the popular DC Series is based on a design developed by engineers in the USA.The corporate HQ for Fullriver USA is in Southern California

(Hi Dave!)

Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marc !

Plenty of evenings this very nasty winter here I raised a glass to that picture of the boat on the lake in Tejas!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]