Practical maximum charge current vs PV array Isc

Options
I have an array that produces 90 amps short circuit (Isc) during maximum light conditions.  As a rule of thumb, what would be the most current I could expect to be able to be delivered to the battery bank that is discharged to 50% charge?  I am assuming that it would be somewhat less when actually delivering current through the bank.

The array is made up of varied panels and are old, and I don't have access to PV curves, but I would just like to just get some ballpark idea of roughly what percentage of Isc can actually be forced through an average bank.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The amps delivered varys according to the battery internal resistance.  AGM will, under same conditions, will recharge much faster than FLA because they have 1/10 of the internal resistance.  That last 10% of charge still takes a long time.
     The forcing part depends on the voltage you set, 14V will be much slower than 18V
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Use Imp as the maximum charging current... You may get a little more, but not much. Isc is driving into a dead short. Imp is driving into a optimum load voltage (like ~18 volts Vmp for a "12 volt" panel).

It does also depend on the type of solar charge controller. PWM charge controllers pass (pretty much) Imp-array current.

For an MPPT type charge controller, it is a bit more complicated, but it is the power of the array (actual wattage), then Ibatt=Parray/Vbatt.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset