Conext SW4024 Usage

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I have had the SW4024 for a several months and have used it in a few different ways; standby as a UPS that keeps batteries in Float and in AC Support that uses battery power along with grid during the day when the array is producing power. My current mode is to have the AC Support function enabled during the day, array producing, and disabled manually when the sun goes down. I have had the Combox installed for a few months and that has shown me more detail. So far my power, grid and load usage is fairly consistent no matter what mode I am in. I have tried leaving it in AC Support and it cycles at night and I have disabled AC Support for days at a time. I have been communicating with another member, comparing notes. I would like to hear from others as to how they use their SW4024 and what their battery charging settings are to get a good charge.
System consists of SW4024, SCP, Combox, Morningstar PS30 PWM charge controller, 400ah battery bank (4 X 6 volt Lifeline AGMs), solar array.

Comments

• neutronspin
    neutronspin Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited January 2019 #2
    stmar said:
    I have had the SW4024 for a several months and have used it in a few different ways; standby as a UPS that keeps batteries in Float and in AC Support that uses battery power along with grid during the day when the array is producing power. My current mode is to have the AC Support function enabled during the day, array producing, and disabled manually when the sun goes down. I have had the Combox installed for a few months and that has shown me more detail. So far my power, grid and load usage is fairly consistent no matter what mode I am in. I have tried leaving it in AC Support and it cycles at night and I have disabled AC Support for days at a time. I have been communicating with another member, comparing notes. I would like to hear from others as to how they use their SW4024 and what their battery charging settings are to get a good charge.
    System consists of SW4024, SCP, Combox, Morningstar PS30 PWM charge controller, 400ah battery bank (4 X 6 volt Lifeline AGMs), solar array.

Hello,  I have two SW4048 inverters (48 volt version) stacked in parallel and have had problems from the beginning but I am working these out.  As far as the AC Support design design it leaves little to be desired.  I am going to try to use a relay to kill the AC (grid) input when my battery bank SOC reaches a predetermined level to more utilize the solar during the day since this inverter does not do it very well.  I am going to use the aux output from one of my MPPT60-150 charge controllers to operate a 24VDC relay.  I am not sure if your Morningstar controllers have an aux output based on battery SOC to accomplish this.  Right now I am testing a few candidate relays to see how well they work before trying it.  People have used timers and other means to do this as well.  Check the threads on here since they are very informative.  Good luck....
  • stmar

Any SW4024 users out there? What settings are you using? Do you manually change them according to environment: clouds, sun, day, night? My Prostar 30, PWM controller is not optimal, during sunny days with minimal power usage it goes into regulation and sometimes gets stuck where the solar is cut off and does not come back on automatically. Any suggestions on a decent controller? The XW-MPPT-60 and the C60 come to mind, although the C60 does not have Xanbus capabilities like the XW. Is that worth 5 times the cost going to MPPT from PWM?

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my mind it is priceless to have a whole system that communicates on a network. I would never do anything else, but that is me.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really love the Morningstar MPPT -60 with its web monitor interface. Rock solid, always outperforms my midnight classic, never hangs, and always recovers itself if needed. I have a summer setting (lower absorb voltage) and a winter setting I change seasonly

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar

I have been communicating with a fellow forum member about the settings on the Conext SW4024. I was off on my understanding of the unit, didn't utilize it's capabilities. He put me on the right track and I still have some tweaks that I can do as I get more familiar with my system. I realize all systems have their peculiarities so settings are not canned. Now I have my AC Support set at 26 volts, may lower this as suggested by fellow member. My Recharge Volts is set at 24, with sunny days my system has not hit this voltage and has not recharged from the inverter since I set it at that voltage. All my charging has been from my solar array. During the day with solar active I am using more battery power for loads, it will be interesting to see the difference in grid usage.

The Combox really helped seeing the system activities. What settings do other SW4024 120/240 systems use?