Conduit over a rain gutter

climb_on
climb_on Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
My inverter is to be installed about 6 feet below the array, under the eve.  Does the NEC allow conduit to run over the edge of the roof and rain gutter, back under the eve, and down to the inverter?  Alternatively, I could punch through the roof and come out the bottom of the eve and straight down to the inverter, but I don't much like the idea of penetrations in my roof, especially down low.  The inverter will be installed about 6 feet left of the meter.  Gutter isn't installed yet.  How would you guys do it?  
9.8kW Array, (34) 290w Heliene Modules, SE10000a SolarEdge Inverter. 8/12 pitch steel roof.  NABCEP PVA. Minnesota.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    From an aesthetic standpoint going through the roof straight down to the inverter would be best. Using Tek cable or seal tight condiut should not violate any rules if properly supported, but would look like an afterthought, my opinion only.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • climb_on
    edited June 2018 #3
    What kind of box would I use if I do choose to go through the roof?  I'll have (4) 10awg conductors plus ground, to the inverter.  Combiner is in the DC disconnect of the inverter.
    9.8kW Array, (34) 290w Heliene Modules, SE10000a SolarEdge Inverter. 8/12 pitch steel roof.  NABCEP PVA. Minnesota.
  • mcgivor
    The method I would use, would be to run 1" EMT from the inverter through the roof with a water proof connector screwed into a LB or LR conduit body, then transition to a Sealtite flexible conduit like this http://flexiblewiringconduits.anacondasealtite.com/viewitems/sealtite-ul/peratures-liquid-tight-flexible-metal-conduit-lfmc then to a weather proof 4" square junction where all panel feeders enter with weather proof gland fittings, running PV cable all the way to the combiner to avoid splices. This would maintain a low profile, where the conduit penitrates the roof, a generous amount of urethane sealant applied to keep the water out. Rationale behind the transition is EMT looks better on the outside wall, the flexible conduit could be used all the way but not as good looking, or EMT could be used to the 4×4 JB, but it's easier to strap the flexible conduit to the mounting rack. Just some ideas
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • climb_on
    edited June 2018 #5
    I'm warming up to the idea. Thank you. Couple other questions then....Any issue bringing the liquid-tite through the roof directly into the back of the 4x4 box (to allow more surface for sealing the penetration)? 1" liquid-tite for 4 #10's plus ground? Bring the ground through one of the 4 glands or should it have its own?
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
     +1, mcgivor, All good suggestions. 
     New standing seam roof. I would thoroughly clean the surface before applying sealant to ensure a good permanent bond. You never know what residue could be on the surface from the mfg. process.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    edited June 2018 #7
    climb_on said:
    I'm warming up to the idea. Thank you. Couple other questions then....Any issue bringing the liquid-tite through the roof directly into the back of the 4x4 box (to allow more surface for sealing the penetration)? 1" liquid-tite for 4 #10's plus ground? Bring the ground through one of the 4 glands or should it have its own?
    Gland fittings don't work with two conductors go separate, ridged material is usually easier to seal than flexible as well as a small penetration is less likely to create issues, just my opinion. Yes cleaning before sealing is always a good thing to do.
  • dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    I would not go through the roof as a first choice.
    If compelled to go through the roof, I would not rely on sealant to keep water out.
    Sealant cannot stay sealed to a roof shingle or plywood for very long.
    Purchase a roof penetration designed for the job, many types are available.
    Google PV roof penetration.
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • climb_on
    edited July 2018 #9
    This is a steel roof. I have a very hard time finding roof penetration products for a steel roof that dont rely solely on a sealant to keep the water out. Had the same trouble with my plumbing vents. Those I could at lest keep right near the ridge. This one is at the eve. I'm leaning back toward going over the gutter and I ne'er the eve, with 1" liquid tight conduit.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are your solar panels going .... could you do your penetration at ridge . Run inside roof cavity , into garage and conduit down inside , then punch through from inside to outside at appropriate position ?
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • climb_on
    Yes I could, but it would not be a very easy run.  I should have planned better when building the house, and run the wires early in the project.  I don't think I'll go through all the trouble now that I am this far along.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a fresh plumbing vent and run conduit through the middle ?  (ducks and runs)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• climb_on
    Is there a fill table for plumbing vents?  LOL
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go in through a gable end?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter