Q: Why would you want to allow your wind turbine to free spin?

fooliosfoolios Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
Looking up brake info, I see options on the brakes.
Why would free spin be an option? I read free spin happens when loads are missing and the battery is overvoltage; which could result in the destruction of the turbine.

Switch Positions:

• Up -- Turbine is connected to the battery or rectifier. (Switch is closed)
  • Middle -- Turbine is fully disconnected, free spinning.
  • Down -- Turbine wires are shorted together. Brake is on.

Comments

• EstragonEstragon Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe so you can work on it with circuits open, check to make sure it spins with no load, etc?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivormcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of what I was thinking, a neutral gear of sorts, to test the bearings without load or brake.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 
    900W  3 × 300W No name brand Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah FLA 24V nominal as a backup system. 
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergencies and welding.
  • fooliosfoolios Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Excellent.

Thanks.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 28,167 admin
    A lot of double pole double throw switch have a middle position where they are off...

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset