Edison NiFe batteries

2»

Comments

• TecnodaveTecnodave Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

Softdown,

This is right up my alley, I'm currently using a 14 year old bank of L-16 S-530's that were bought on the way to the scrapyard. They had a total of 0.05 volts as a set of four. I hooked 4 Seimens SM-55 panels in series ..84 [email protected] amps...........to the batteries in series, no controller, small fuse at 5 amps and waited, after several weeks starting to show good hope, end of 4 weeks, 24.0 volts and all cells within .020 of each other. Hooked up Kid with 4 Seimens in Series.......walla full recovery. They have more capacity than my 6 year old Interstate L-16 set bought new!

Steve [email protected] verified that my Surettes were "shipped out the door" June 26, 2005

theory here.....throttle current with a limited current power supply but allow the voltage to go high to burn off the sulfates. This is based on 1950's battery shop "String chargers" that used a "Tungar bulb" rectifier (basically a mercury vapor diode bulb much like a street lamp but with a dunce cap) these had very high internal resistance, throttling the current.

I did do time at Alaska Husky Battery in Anchorage, and Fairbanks building batteries for the Artic cold, learned a lot there, including the high voltage throttled current process. We used 220 volts DC to string charge about 10-15 batteries in series.

We built FLA's with a very high ratio of lead to electrolyte and very high s.g. of 1.320 at full charge. These "Artic" batteries were to be used in winter only, they would not stand the underhood temperatures of Fairbanks 100 degree summers. They would easily last 3 years in the cold, not freeze at 70 below as seen in Fairbanks and interior Alaska and start your car at 70 degrees below Fahrenheit .

The "Employment Prevention Agency" ran them out of business, They moved to Moscow,Russia. They have major contracts with the Russiam government.........good job EPA

I borrowed that term from a member here, very approiate!

david

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • westbranchwestbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 #33

Softdown, Dave and I have WET NiCd cells, not the sealed ones (DRY) used for power tools. lots to read in the WiKi

more from same WIKI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93cadmium_battery

Comparison with other batteries..... near the bottom.

One note I can think of while reading is that the writer(s) jumps from one type of NiCd battery to the other type ( wet to dry) quite easily and causes confusion unnecessarily..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭✭

Batteries - if I keep learning about them I will know nothing quite soon!

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • TPATPA Registered Users Posts: 2

Tecnodave

I have 8 very old S-530s (48V setup) in basically the same condition. Can you give some idea of the voltage and current limits you would use under the circumstances you describe? Some basic guidelines and limits if I am to try this. Maybe a set of "per cell" values would work better.

TPA,

are these batteries in service now? Can you pull them out of service for a while to restore? Gotta go do some electrical debugging so I won't be back on until after 5-6 o'clock PST

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • TPATPA Registered Users Posts: 2

No, they have not been in service for a very, very long time. I don't really need to use them, but if they could be made serviceable I can find a use for them. They have very low cycles, they just got neglected and went unused for years.

edited April 2019 #38

TPA,

I recommend using a solar panel or several. Connect all the batteries in series. Connect about 150-200 volts of panels in series. About 4 times the maximum charge voltage desired. Connect panels directly to batteries with only a 10 amp or so quick blowing fuse. The batteries will pull the p.v. Output down to battery voltage . The high voltage is used to remove the sulfations. Wait.........wait....it takes time. Read voltage across each battery, chart it, read specific gravity and record. This procedure will not damage the panels or batteries. It took 30 days to recover my S-530's to 24.0 volts and two more weeks spare time in equilation to fully recover them. Get a turkey baster and use it to pump the acid up and down in the cells. In very tall batteries the acid sinks to the bottom and leaves the water on the top.This concentrated acid at the bottom eats the plates at the bottom if left too long, lots of luck with it When I recovered my set I used Seimens SM-55 55 watt "12 volt " panels, 3.15 amp at 18.9 volts at maximum power, 21 volts open circuit, keep the amperage in this part down to 10 amps or so.