Portable Genset problems

Options
dstephen
dstephen Registered Users Posts: 2
I have tow gensets with problems;
1. a Makita EG322A Genset 2.4KVA with Brush-type AVR starts up fine. but smoke emanates from the alternator soon after starting. voltage measured is 240VAC (ok). i tested AVR is fine. I tested stator winding via output and ohms is 0.5 ohms so i suspect the stator is short circuited. No replacement available in my country Will a Powermate 2KW alternator be compatible as replacement of a Makita 2.4KVA alternator? 

2. A 2KW Yamaha genset starts but chokes and stops within seconds. the engine is fine. Can i assume that no small dc current is fed back to the spark plug to ensure that the engine continuously combusts fuel to drive the alternator?

suggestions welcome.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    For the first genset... Is there a place that rebuilds/rewinds car/truck alternators in your area?

For the second, does your geset have an low oil sensor? Those have been known to have problems and kill the spark.

For the Yamaha, do you have more information (model number)? There are a few different models that are quite different (from what I could find).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With regards to the Yahama, the carburetor could be in need of a cleaning, from the description, the emulicification tube could be blocked, this tube is above the main jet, it is a tube which has several small holes along its length, if these very small holes become pluged, an over rich mixture could occur, this is very common on an engine that has not been run frequently and would result in a start but no run situation as you have explained.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #4
    Options
    Before pulling it apart remove the old (current) fuel from the  tank and get some FRESH premium gasoline, add the appropriate amount of SEAFOAM fuel stabilizer / conditioner to it, start the unit a few times ensure the new fuel has made it into the carb, then let it sit a few hours or overnight, repeat, if still stalling , a couple more times before pulling it all apart... I use SEAFOAM in my Yamaha outboard, it sits all winter and starts on the second pull, with old gas ..... every year! 
    I got 'sold on it' by my old car mechanic!... all I can say.....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I've gotten more and more tired of carb clogging problems, I increasingly install a valve in the fuel line and run until the engine dies.  Seems to work well.  On some not-entirely-ethanol-safe fuel systems, I go even further (lines or lines and tank).

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited August 2017 #6
    Options
    Some of the small gensets like the eu2000i have a carburetor drain screw.

I like to run the engines dry too. And use a fuel preservative. Seafoam is reputed to be the best and good at dissolving old varnish.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #7
    Options
    It's unclear to me that Seafoam should be used with E10 gas - because it adds more alcohol.   So I use STA-Bil.      I'm also going to start buying ethanol free gas for some things.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html
    https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/34_11/features/Ethanol-Gas-Additives_5692-1.html
    "Avoid alcohol-based treatments; they are not for E-10."

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• dstephen
    dstephen Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    all, the yamaha 2kW genset is a model EF2600FW (230V 50Hz - AUstralia standard). I have taken note of all comments in reply to my post. thankyou all for your helpful comments. regards. Dstephen.
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of the smaller engines from Honda, Yamaha, Subaru have "hidden" in line fuel filters that are easily clogged.  These filters are very hard to find and the only way to know is to remove and examine the entire fuel line from tank to carb.

Usual symptom is engine starts fine but then shudders and then fails to run properly or not at all.  Just a cheap 50 cent fix maybe all you need.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring