HUP Solar One Batteries

Options
ColoradoSolar
ColoradoSolar Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭
In reading through many forums I have found a few people using HUP Solar One batteries but all those posts seem to be years old. I am installing a new system and am planning on using the Solar One batteries so I was wondering if there was anyone on here that actually has them installed. If so I would like your opinion on how they are holding up.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you search here for your batteries there are over 100 pages of 'hits'

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ColoradoSolar
    Options
    I know but most of them are old or are posts like mine asking if anyone is using them.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry but you didn't say that you searched here.  IIRC there are a couple of HUP1 users in that list...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Found an older manual for the batteries--You can read about their requirements:

http://www.firemountainsolar.com/wp-content/themes/fms/pdf/HuP-Solar-One-Manual.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A buddy of mine has well cared for 48V set. About 10 years old IIRC   This fall, he said they are getting "soft" and may have to look for replacements.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ColoradoSolar
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    A buddy of mine has well cared for 48V set. About 10 years old IIRC   This fall, he said they are getting "soft" and may have to look for replacements.
    That is the kind of info I was looking for. Do you know the size of his bank?
  • ColoradoSolar
    Options
    BB. said:
    Found an older manual for the batteries--You can read about their requirements:

http://www.firemountainsolar.com/wp-content/themes/fms/pdf/HuP-Solar-One-Manual.pdf

-Bill
    I have the manual and have read it many times over the last year or so. I have also talked to a dealer but that is no replacement for actual user experience.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi C S,

Just what  are the things that HUP batteries will deliver,  that other batteries you have considered will not?

HUP batteries are not very common in the circles travelled,  around  here.

Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made my choice based on costs. Costs for a generic forklift battery "12-85-14" was $2525 delivered.  The HUP was almost double... Later, on this forum, I learned GB inflates their 20hr rate. I haven't gone back to recalculate. Based on my calculations at the time if the GB battery lasted 10 years I would be money ahead. There was no additional charge to have flag terminals put on the battery, vs the standard 4/0 cables (heck they got to keep 10 feet of 4/0!) and the battery was delivered in a couple weeks. Pretty much  useless info, other than a cost comparison. Might look into other tall cell batteries. I understand the HUP has more room above and below the plates for electrolyte, I think I read about them in a Home Power article.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ColoradoSolar
    Options
    Vic said:

Hi C S,

Just what  are the things that HUP batteries will deliver,  that other batteries you have considered will not?

HUP batteries are not very common in the circles travelled,  around  here.

Thanks,   Vic

One thing they deliver is a longer warranty.

If I am remembering correctly. When I was looking at comparable batteries they ended up being about the same price and the HUP batteries has a better warranty and more cycles.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi C S,

Yea,   had assumed that the Warranty  would be high on your list.

Have looked at HUP batteries some time ago.   But have always chosen Surrette batteries.

Believe that HUP has reduced the requirements for minimum charge current capability for off-grid systems,  in order to keep the warranty in force,   which is a good thing.

Seems to me that the Solar One batteries are really just Forklift batteries,  but do have separable cells (bolts and busbars IIRC),   which make handling and installation easier,   compared to forklift batteries.

In general,  most forklift batteries have fewer,  thicker plates than most other batteries used in off-grid systems,   for a given 20-hour Capacity.   This increased plate thickness permits a maximum Depth Of Discharge (DOD) up to 80%,   and cab also permit a higher charge rate.   But,  for most off grid systems  this great DOD is not useful,   and mandates  a very high charge current to rapidly recharge the battery,   and avoid  sulfation issues.

Most forklift batteries,   with their thicker plates have somewhat poorer surge current performance,  due to generally fewer plates in parallel  per cell than do more conventional Deep-Cycle solar type batteries.   This can cause the inverter AC output voltage to sag more than when using conventional Deep Cycle batteries   ...    and so on.

Like most things,  there are many trade-offs in battery selection for our systems.

I have not ever used forklift or HUP batteries.   But,  a forklift battery seems like a relatively inexpensive battery for the Capacity.   HUP seems quite a bit more expensive than forklift batteries of the same C,   but IF the HUP does have more electrolyte Reserve above the plates,   this could be beneficial.

Will look at HUP's  minimum requirements to keep the warranty in force.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Belmont Solar
    Belmont Solar Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Options
    Have six systems installed. Up to seven years old. They are all going strong. Tested one set at year six. It gets daily cycling but it still shows 100% of original capacity remaining, and all the cells are amazingly equal in specific gravity readings
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Belmont Solar said:
    > Have six systems installed. Up to seven years old. They are all going strong. Tested one set at year six. It gets daily cycling but it still shows 100% of original capacity remaining, and all the cells are amazingly equal in specific gravity readings

How much water are the installed HUP's using?
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have six systems installed. Up to seven years old. They are all going strong. Tested one set at year six. It gets daily cycling but it still shows 100% of original capacity remaining, and all the cells are amazingly equal in specific gravity readings
    Wow, 100% capacity at 6 years is impressive! I haven't seen that yet, and I would have forecast a less for a cycling system when subjected to a true capacity test.

As Wheelman55 asked, what does is the water consumption rate?
    How does the 7 year old system look in terms of capacity?

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me neither.... Hard to believe that the manufacture specified capacity is still there. Just because a system battery monitor says 100% does not mean it is still 100% of life or capacity.

Load testing large systems that are offgrid is not an easy task as the people who live there want their power on :)

The LG LFP battery for instance shows 100% state of charge but has an internal logging device that calculates life remaining in percentage. It counts KWH produced also for warranty along with a very detailed log of ambient temperature and surge history.
    Tesla is very similar. The highlighted warranty has a page of Lawyer speak for every year of warranty.  >:)

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Belmont Solar
    Options
    They do take water. As much as a 3 gallons every 2 months. Depends on size and how they get used. The Solar One batteries are solid batteries when used correctly. As solid as lead acid gets
  • Belmont Solar
    Options
    About as solid as lead acid gets. The six year old system has HBX with grid as backup. That is how the test could get done. The other systems do not have an accurate capacity test on them. The day after this post, Do have one user now complaining about his capacity but the hydrometer readings all test fine. He does have a large load and little solar in comparison. 5 years of less solar than recommended for his battery size