Tripp Lite AWS2012SW problems

WolfMT
WolfMT Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
when I start inverter it runs as designed and then I start generator and inverter switches to charging mode
after charging for awhile it switches back to DC mode and will not switch back to AC and charging mode unless I shut the system down for a few hours

anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought would be that the AC goes out of spec (heavy start current loads?) and gets dropped. Don't know why you would need to shut down for so long though. Does it get hot?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Some folks have found that they need to put (for example) a 100 watt filament lamp on the output of the genset to "stabilize" the output voltage and current.

Do you have a meter that can measure frequency (Kill-a-Watt or similar)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • WolfMT
    Estragon said:
    My first thought would be that the AC goes out of spec (heavy start current loads?) and gets dropped. Don't know why you would need to shut down for so long though. Does it get hot?

It doesn't get hot, the generator is running rest of house that doesn't go through inverter
  • WolfMT
    BB. said:
    Some folks have found that they need to put (for example) a 100 watt filament lamp on the output of the genset to "stabilize" the output voltage and current.

-Bill

I have a multimeter, and generator runs other lights so it has a pull from lights of several hundred watts

• WolfMT
    Inverter has no issues in DC Mode, runs everything that is wired to it, I have 4 6 volt batteries that are also fed 500 Watts from solar panels, this inverter powers TV, DVD player, Cell phone booster and Phone

Only issues is charging batteries in AC mode
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the voltage and frequency of the generator AC power at the AC in terminals of the inverter?

What state are the status lights in?

Is this a new installation, or did it work as expected for some time and only start doing this recently?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this link will address your particular issue but worth a read
    https://blog.tripplite.com/which-type-of-ups-system-works-best-with-a-generator/
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • WolfMT
    Estragon said:
    What is the voltage and frequency of the generator AC power at the AC in terminals of the inverter?

What state are the status lights in?

Is this a new installation, or did it work as expected for some time and only start doing this recently?

voltage is 130, it would be considered a new installation as I replaced a tripplite 1012 with this 2012
  • WolfMT
    mcgivor said:
    Not sure if this link will address your particular issue but worth a read
    https://blog.tripplite.com/which-type-of-ups-system-works-best-with-a-generator/

thanks

• WolfMT
    BB. said:

-Bill

seems I need a 1000 Watt draw off of generator to stabilize voltage so inverter will switch to charge mode
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    You could try slowing the generator down a little to reduce the light load voltage (eg, 125V).

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development