Hand Shake Agreements

southfork
southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
When I was having my solar installed I asked if the run back to the main panel was heavy enough to  attach a gen set to so I could keep the noise away from the house . The contractor answer was sure I would likely need a dedicated circuit and a plug ? and would need to turn breakers off to solar array and at the main ? To avoid damage to equipment and back feed but since we already pulled permit he would do the work after inspection  My agreement was cash when the array was producing I upheld my end . But after numerous unanswered e-mails and cell phone calls to find out about said plug ? His answer was his agreement with me was to install the solar system as per written agreement . So the handshake and verbal agreement didn't amount to anything live and learn If i held up payment until all implied work was complete I bet I would have my Plug ? This was a local solar contractor with good reviews . So now I need to hire a real electrician to install a gen set disconnect .  
 24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .                                                                

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...sorry.
    Hand Shake Agreements are only as good as he hands you are shaking. Let others know. Google reviews, BBB, etc.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn off breakers to run the genny? Wire it after inspection? Gah. I hope your local inspectors are good and really inspected what this guy has done.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Our class president became a cop. He knows people. His advice: Trust noyone.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Ya never pay till the job is done and inspected. Never never 
    but I'm sure for every contractor that did not finish a job there are 3 dirt bag people that'dident want to pay . 
     It is what it is , the truth is the contract is only as good as both party's . It is hardly ever worth going to court in the end .
     This is the contractors side of the story.  
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • southfork
    southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
    wellbuilt said:
    Ya never pay till the job is done and inspected. Never never 
    but I'm sure for every contractor that did not finish a job there are 3 dirt bag people that'dident want to pay . 
     It is what it is , the truth is the contract is only as good as both party's . It is hardly ever worth going to court in the end .
     This is the contractors side of the story.  
    Everything was inspected and up an running before payment was made the system is working as designed or better no problem with quality of workmanship the crew did a great job . My problem was with the company owner and a handshake . The system has been net-0 since install with surplus power and the 30 percent credit back in the bank . I guess I'm old school but a man's word is everything .
     24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .