More array? More Battery? More Generator?

2»

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morpho said:
    Regarding more CC: I was wondering if it is possible to have the extra arrays on a switch that I can turn on when the extra power is needed - no different than I do with the generator - On a grey day I would only see 20-30 amps coming at me anyway so I don't know if I'd need another CC at all.
    You can, often just limit your charge controllers output, some will even limit it for you to their max.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Mike 870
    Mike 870 Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do the switch thing because the same season you need extra power you could also get a nice cold sunny day that spikes your voltage.  I wonder if there are capacitors for such an application , no idea as it's not my field.  I would think turning some panels for morning and some for evening would be a safer bet.  But I have no experience in something like this, just thinking out loud.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morpho said:

Or...I just get rid of the fridge and the freezer and the TV...I would undoubtedly lose the wife in there somewhere.

HEY! Things are looking up! ...Just kidding dear. ;-)

The whole world is a freezer at 55N at this time of year, isn't it?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    This is truth! I tried the outside freezer for 4 years and it was semi-successful. Things froze but it was a bit of a hassle with snow and ice and -40...then +2...then frozen again. The coyotes and cougars investigated etcetera...so, in the end, I purchased a little freezer. Now the only wild animal rummaging in our frozen goods at 2 am is me.

11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mine in a porch.  Don't get too many +2 days in winter (NW Ont) but the fridge/freezer seems to keep it frozen on warm days.  Wolves seem to stay away, but I have had bears poking around.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter