Choices!

kamchuka
kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
Picked this older heart 24v 2500 up for a song. So now I have the option of running 12 or 24 but it's old. Any opinions? 24 is better but the magnum 12v 2500 is new.
900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From a wiring point of view, 24 volts will be 1/2 the current (P=V*I) and you can use -3 AWG to -6 AWG smaller gauge wire (depending on run length) for the same power.

On the other side, the other inverter is decades old(1989 manual?):

http://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Resources/Xantrex/HF24-2500SX.pdf

The Heart appears to be a 21.0 to 29.0 input MSW (or square wave) AC inverter (so is your Magnum--MSW). 29 volts is a bit on the low side for charging/equalizing flooded cell batteries these days 31-32 volts or so minimum is better for EQ). The Heart may also have an AC Battery Charger option installed (or not).

My two cents--If you Magnum is working OK for you--I would keep using it. I would be a bit leery of rewiring your battery bank and re-configuring your solar array/etc. to install a ~25 year old AC inverter. While it may work good for your needs--If/when it does fail, it may be difficult to find spare parts/service/support for repairs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kamchuka
    kamchuka Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Thanks Bill, I was thinking the same but hoping someone might be like "that's a unicorn inverter, best thing ever!". Now I think I'll set it up in my old inverterless r.v. throw a couple panels on the roof and move out smartly...
    900 watts pv (building on) on poles, off grid 60a mppt, magnum 2k 12v msw, 1400 ah forklift battery (rewired to 12v), 8k diesel gen for house. honda eu6500, 2x 8D, coleman 800w inv for shop, honda 5k for well (pumps to 1000g cistern), ryobi 2k suitcase for mobile ops. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never know when I'll get back, lately it's been often, but I believe the old Hearts MSW are stepless / square wave and I think the Magnum is a stepped wave, may mimic a sine wave better and create less problems. I'd look it up but it's past my bedtime...lol.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    There are very, very few scenarios that would involve swapping out a newly installed Magnum 12V for a 35 year old MSW 24V. Unless it really was the 'greatest unicorn ever'.

How many watts of PV are up and running? I could see some battery banks that would profit by a switch from 12 to 24. Some people really mcgivor their battery banks.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries