12v solar getting no current

Options
Menace_87
Menace_87 Registered Users Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
hey i have 12v solar i accidently shorted the solar controller. i brought a new one connected it but solar panel is giving me no current.
what damage could i have done to the solar panel without removing it from the roof to look.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the forum,

Do you have a DVM (digital volt meter)?  We can use that to do some troubleshooting.

Also, please tell us about the whole system... battery, controller, inverter, solar panel, etc.  

What exactly do you mean by "shorted the solar controller"?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Menace_87
    Options
    the inverter is 30amp projecta solar panel is 200w 110ah battery. Apart from that im not sure i didn't buy it i have just connected it i have a DVM. i connected the last solar controller but the positive terminal come off the battery and without thinking i quickly put it back on which caused the controller to smoke. so i replaced it and now im not getting any amps from the solar.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many Charge controllers MUST be connected to the battery first. The controller you refer to is a 12/24 volt type. The controller sees the voltage of the battery and decides which nominal voltage the system is. While you are still being vague as to what exactly your equipment is it's my guess that your 200 watt panel is a 60 cell grid tie version which is not suited to battery charging without a true MPPT charge controller. The charge controller you are using isn't a MPPT controller. While it will work (sort of) you will only be getting approx 1/3 of the charging potential of your panel.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Littleharbor2 may well be correct!

• "While it will work (sort of)" 
    Though some inexpensive charge controllers can be destroyed by the higher voltage! What charge controller did you replace?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Menace_87
    edited June 2016 #6
    Options
    Pulled it all apart now. 200w mono is putting out power and projecta sc030 controller isn't picking it up so will check my mc4 extension leads tomorrow. 
    If they are fine could there be a reason why the controller is not receiving the power from the solar?
    the solar panel come with a pwm controller i have no idea what the projecta sc030 is.

sorry for not knowing much about this.