honda eu20i oil light

petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
Just got a new honda gen . sales man in shop said when oil is low the oil light will come on .but the generator will not automatically stop on low oil .
But reading the manual it says there IS a low oil shut down . can a assume the suplyers sales man is incorrect .?
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #2
    It will shut down when the oil is low, It has a sensor. I really haven't had a issue with mine, but sometimes if it won't start check the oil, I'v had to add oil before starting. I have read that when the oil is dirty it can be a problem also, gets bubbles on it. It does have a oil alert light , but I don't know what turns it on, if the generator isn't running it has no power, maybe it's a two step process.

If you buy one of those spouts on ebay you can change the oil in 2 minutes. I have a detergent bottle I cut off with a mark ( just shy of 16 oz. ) I fill it with fresh oil. Remove dip stick, install spout, Tip it over to drain to drain into a waste oil container and tip it back to fill and remove spout and reinstall the dip stick. done.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Honda_EU2000_Generators/info

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    It shuts down on low oil.  As Blackcherry mentioned, when oil is dirty the oil sensor sticks.  The generator will start, but shut down in less than a minute.  As it warms up some, the generator will run fine.  Sometimes it takes 3 starts before it will keep going.  In cold weather, the oil can be dirty enough in just 30 hours runtime to cause this problem.

btw, my eu2000 has many, unknown thousands of hours on it... it don't owe me a nickel.  I will buy another when the time comes. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the unit is as close to level as you can get...  I had mine shut down for 'low oil',...  checked and it was fine, then noticed that it was sitting at a bit of an angle off level, re-positioned it and voila, no problem...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all replys . what s fantastic forum .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't take much to stop the generator. I have the EU1000 and a couple of tablespoons of oil can make the difference between running and not.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.