Interesting math on Sams Club golf cart Ah ratings and price

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
Their web site shows multiple golf cart (GC) batteries available in many states. Then one picks a specific location to see what is specifically available....in theory.

Their two main choices seem to be:
6 volt...107 Ah...66 pounds...$84.52
8 volt...128 Ah...68 pounds...$99.72

Wish I could find the dimensions. Presently over 100 miles away so I can't easily check. These Ah ratings vs weight do not make sense. The 8 volt battery appears to offer a lot more power with 128 Ah at 8 volts over 107 Ah at 6 volts.

I'm pretty sure that something is wrong with their math. The figures are stated on the battery. It is the work of Johnson Control...aka: Energizer battery.

Reviews that I read leads one to believe this battery normally last 3-4 years. But that sample is too small to draw firm conclusions. I suspect this is a pretty average quality golf cart battery.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown wrote: »
    Their web site shows multiple golf cart (GC) batteries available in many states. Then one picks a specific location to see what is specifically available....in theory.

Those are golf cart batteries? I thought golf cart batteries were a bit over 200 ah. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • softdown
    Options
    Pretty sure that you "thought wrong". Though it would seem that some manufacturers or distributors use some "fuzzy math" when doing their Ah (or aH) ratings. That is why I look at actual weight pretty hard. There is no way that a 45 pound 12 volt battery is going to offer 100 Ah as I have seen claimed....perhaps at Tractor Supply as I seem to remember. Possibly an "honest mistake"...but misleading as can be.
    vtmaps wrote: »

Those are golf cart batteries? I thought golf cart batteries were a bit over 200 ah. --vtMaps

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energiz....ip?navAction=

Energizer golf cart battery GC2 - $84.52 in Phoenix
    • 6 volt
    • Minutes at 75 AMPS: 107
    • 20 AMP Hour Capacity: 208
    • Reliable Cycling Ability
    • Deep Cycle
    • Gang Vent Design
    • Polypropylene Ribbed Case
    • Post Type: UTL
    • Core Fee May Apply
  • softdown
    Options
    20 amp hour capacity....is that our "gold standard"? May have read that somewhere here....
    solar_dave wrote: »
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energiz....ip?navAction=

Energizer golf cart battery GC2 - $84.52 in Phoenix
    • 6 volt
    • Minutes at 75 AMPS: 107
    • 20 AMP Hour Capacity: 208
    • Reliable Cycling Ability
    • Deep Cycle
    • Gang Vent Design
    • Polypropylene Ribbed Case
    • Post Type: UTL
    • Core Fee May Apply

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That 20 hour rate is wrong, the Sam's club batteries in Columbia MO as of 6 months ago were a bit smaller than 7 years ago, last time I purchased, I think they were the 208 Ah use to be 215 amp.

I can't imaging the 8 volt are higher Ah, it just can't happen. I might believe they are 128 ah (128 x8v = 1024 watt hour vs 207or 208 x 6v = @ 1250 watt hour)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

You are misreading the specs.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energizer-golf-cart-battery-group-size-gc8/prod740106.ip

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energizer-golf-cart-battery-group-size-gc2/prod6750008.ip?navAction=push

The 107 number for the 6 volt battery is the number of minutes at a discharge rate of 75 amps. The 20 hour rate = 208 AH. These are GC-2's.
    208 x 6 = 1248 watt hours

The 128 number for the 8 volt battery is the number of minutes at a discharge rate of 56 amps. The 20 hour rate = 170 AH. These are GC-8's.
    170 x 8 = 1360 watt hours.

Maybe that is why a friend chose the 8 volt versions for his 48 volt system?

The cases on both are the same. Or they are the same case, but the cells are smaller in the GC-8.

The 107 and 128 numbers are meaningless for comparison as they are based on different amp discharge rates. What's with that? But the 20 hour rate numbers are something you can work with.

To confuse matters a tad there is also a GC-2 version with a 20 hour rate of 232 AH at about $113
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energizer-6-volt-premium-golf-cart-battery-group-size-gc2/prod6000037.ip?navAction=push

~~~~~~
    Reviews that I read leads one to believe this battery normally last 3-4 years

Depends. Depends on a lot of things. The very same GC-2, 6 volt batteries I bought from my local Sam's Club in July 2009 are still in service and doing fine.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • softdown
    Options
    To make things more interesting....they may offer even more models and some are made in the USA instead of Mexico. But does your area carry them? Thanks for clearing up the 20 hour rate...

They are also carrying larger models of the proverbial Harbor Freight kits: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/solar-60w-backup-kit/129097.ip?origin=item_page.rr3&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=prod13201363

At $300....this does not appear to be a huge bargain.....though it includes a 200 watt inverter. I've had a large number of small inverters die pretty quickly. I think they are usually made for a camping trip....etc.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My nearby store carries the basic 6 volt and the 8 volt. But they will order in the premium 6 volt. I have not looked close enough to see if they are assembled in Mexico or not. If I remember I'll have a look at them when we make the Trek back up there in a couple of weeks.

That does appear to be the same panel type as HF. I had two of them years ago that I bought specifically to carry the RV batteries over the winter. We parked it where the cabin was to be built and snowshoed in every other weekend all winter. That's why I did not want to take the batteries out. The batteries survived fine, but the panels did degrade over the three years I had them.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • dropkick
    dropkick Registered Users Posts: 23
    Options
    For reference Costco's version is also 208Ah for $83.99. Labeled Interstate, but likely just another Johnson Controls. Both places have $15 core fee. Sam's here stocks both regular and the 232 one tho you'll pay a premium as the cost per AH is higher. (I went to Sam's first to consider the premium but no one was interested in making a $1000 sale because "the tire department is closing in 10 minutes", so I went next door to Costco! Guy got me 8 matched ones with the same date code from the back. No wonder Sam's is always deserted.)
    6 250W Renogy panels / Morningstar TriStar MPPT 60 charge controller / 8 Costco CG-2 batteries @ 24V / Samlex PST-1000-24 inverter / Samlex SDC-23 24/12V converter and BG-60 LVD / Midnite Solar boxes, breakers, etc.
  • softdown
    Options
    Costco employees are paid about twice as much and they act like it. Classier operation all around. FWIW...I paid an $18 core charge a couple days ago at Sams Club.

Sams Club stores may offer the 8D....some do. Not a noted solar battery though NAPA's web site calls it a deep cycle battery. I'm already in them so I will ride them to their logical conclusion...I guess. Why not?

I can guarantee that Costco will have a better return policy should that become an issue.
    dropkick wrote: »
    For reference Costco's version is also 208Ah for $83.99. Labeled Interstate, but likely just another Johnson Controls. Both places have $15 core fee. Sam's here stocks both regular and the 232 one tho you'll pay a premium as the cost per AH is higher. (I went to Sam's first to consider the premium but no one was interested in making a $1000 sale because "the tire department is closing in 10 minutes", so I went next door to Costco! Guy got me 8 matched ones with the same date code from the back. No wonder Sam's is always deserted.)

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well one nice thing about Sam's Club is they will take pretty much any battery in as an exchange, I used a lawn mower battery! I did this about 2 years ago, but it has a long history here, I used a couple car batteries and a couple marine batteries maybe 7 years before that. I think it has something to do with how Sam's/Walmart writes the contract.

If you have your receipt, look around for a car battery around dumpsters in towns, usually they will be left by garbage collectors, lead is NOT Okay to go into the land fill. Maybe you can get your core fee back, I think you have 30 days.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Options
    Costco will also take anything. I doubt they have a 30 day limit on the core return. Their return policy is quite famously...generous.
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was at samsclub in the spring and there 6v gc battery where listed in a different hour rate.
    The guys have no clue what they are , I bought 2 gc 210 AH once I figured it all out .
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .