Could energy usage be cut by freezing gallons of milk(ex) then placing in refrigerator?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Got to wondering about this idea yesterday. I'm sure there are computations that would relate to this equation.

A lot of theories come and go as time marches on. Would have possibly been an inventor a century ago. Now that usually takes true specialization.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    In theory it shouldn't do anything to help save energy, it will just stabilize the temperature inside once it reaches the set-point. In fact it will consume more energy at first to freeze it. Insulation is what saves energy, not adding thermal mass. It's like adding more batteries and expecting them to increase your PV production...
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    For an off grid situation it could provide an opportunity load to create the frozen jugs when your batteries are full. I suppose then it might reduce the cycle time during evening and battery charging hours.

PS sounds like a lot of work and you would have to be there to manage the load.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    use a more commonly used liquid like water to freeze .... or beer to increase the total mass that is to be kept cold... :cool:...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Takes energy to make energy. Or Einstein once said energy can neither be created or destroyed.

Its takes more energy to make a frozen gallon of milk, and then to place the frozen milk in the fridge, and still have the fridge run minimal cycles to keep the fridge cold.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems logical. So it could prove worthwhile during the winter when the sun is scarce: freeze liquid around noon then place in fridge. It is work but so is operating the genset. Nothing comes close to the fridge in terms of energy consumption.

Or....one could leave liquid outside during the night and place in the fridge during the day.
    solar_dave wrote: »
    For an off grid situation it could provide an opportunity load to create the frozen jugs when your batteries are full. I suppose then it might reduce the cycle time during evening and battery charging hours.

PS sounds like a lot of work and you would have to be there to manage the load.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Brlux
    Brlux Solar Expert Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see a fridge controller that takes battery state of charge in to account when determining when to kick on the compressor. It might have an ideal temp and a range of acceptable temperatures. If the batteries are near full and there is excess power it can dip the temp a few degrees to store some energy. Then when power is more scarce it can raise the temp a few degrees to limit consumption. Kind of like making the night time consumption slightly less while raising the day time consumption.

I have heard some fridges claiming that having a tight temperature regulation is something that helps preserve food so this idea might have some negative effects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read both sides of the argument, I think the 'keeping fridge/freezer full has bee removed from the government website, use to be a helpful hint.

I tend to keep my freezer full of frozen food, so I'd suggest bargain shopping!

There has been an article about an off gridder building a cool house freezing a huge amount of water (200-300 gallons) over winter then, replacing insulation and using as a fridge for 6-8 months of the year.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.