Low cost submersible DC pumps

jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭
There is a fairly new pump being sold widely that is approximately a $150 version of a Shurflo 9300. Search for "submersible solar well pump". It will run on anything from 12-24V at < 2.5 amps (contrary to 4A specs). Given that it's ~1/4 the cost, is it a good value for low usage?

I also see a number of made in China submersible 24-48V brushless centrifugal pumps. Price depends greatly on pressure needed, but say $700, ready to connect to solar panels. Any experience for higher duty cycles?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

Comments

  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,070 admin
    You are welcome to post a like to the pump in question...

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality is basically conformance to your requirements. Since water coming deep out of the ground can be more than a pain when it stops, I would want a name brand. Maybe your application does not have difficult or time/money consuming issues when replacing a pump. It is still the wild west over there (china/India...) I would want a name that I know supervising anything from there especially if i drink water from it.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

  • solarixsolarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    That looks very comparable to the Shurflo, looks well made, and is great value at that price. The main thing to be aware of with these diaphragm type pumps is when the diaphragm fails, water gets into the motor section and the whole thing is ruined. Been there, done that, twice. Only thing you can do is be proactive and have rebuild kits on hand and replace the diaphragm before it goes bad. Like every 18 months if it runs whenever the sun is up. At hte price of this thing though, you could just have a spare pump on hand and wait till the old one gives up.
  • jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that if it makes it through the first week (testing in a bucket might be a good idea), then it might be OK for 2000 hours and then you want to replace it, saving the old one as a spare. For all day use over several years, you probably don't want brushes or a diaphragm.

    I'm going to try driving one with solar panels and only a simple DC->DC converter.

    I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

  • westbranchwestbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    jonr wrote: »
    There is a fairly new pump being sold widely that is approximately a $150 version of a Shurflo 9300. Search for "submersible solar well pump". It will run on anything from 12-24V at < 2.5 amps (contrary to 4A specs). Given that it's ~1/4 the cost, is it a good value for low usage?


    Did a search but , here in Canada, we don't seem to have any hits that match your search parameters... Link please.
     
    KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »


    Did a search but , here in Canada, we don't seem to have any hits that match your search parameters... Link please.

    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/solar-well-pump
  • jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭
    I put the DC-DC converter on it and it seems to work well (on the bench). The panels should be able to produce anything from 29V to 48V and the pump will see 24V. This keeps the pump at full power output and also reduces wire losses somewhat (I have a 450' run). I would guess that 100+W of panels would drive this system and I'll get > 100 gallons/day from it (I have a big hill to pump up). 1/2" PVC pipe. That's all perfect if it is reliable.

    On ebay: Waterproof-DC-DC-buck-Converter-Regulator-36V-29-48V-Step-down-to-24V-15A-360W

    I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

  • gpigeongpigeon Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    "jonr".
    Any update on the performance of the $150 pump? I also have one on hand as a spare for my 9300"s. Any update would be appreciated.
    Thks.
    Bill W.
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭
    450' run....big hill.....thats a pretty big job for a cheap pump. I've installed a couple hundred pumps...of a different type. Yes....we are curious.
    jonr wrote: »
    I put the DC-DC converter on it and it seems to work well (on the bench). The panels should be able to produce anything from 29V to 48V and the pump will see 24V. This keeps the pump at full power output and also reduces wire losses somewhat (I have a 450' run). I would guess that 100+W of panels would drive this system and I'll get > 100 gallons/day from it (I have a big hill to pump up). 1/2" PVC pipe. That's all perfect if it is reliable.

    On ebay: Waterproof-DC-DC-buck-Converter-Regulator-36V-29-48V-Step-down-to-24V-15A-360W

    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #11
    I haven't been able to put it in place yet (long story involving having to purchase a different lot).   I'm convinced that pumping slow is ideal for reducing the required wire and pipe size -  but there aren't many choices for small pumps.    I'm considering rearranging the solar panels to get more like 100V (less wire losses).  Then a common 85V-250V AC or DC to 24VDC power supply located near the pump.

    I haven't seen any reports of the number of  hours people are getting.  I suspect they should be considered semi-disposable.

    I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

Sign In or Register to comment.