Nickel-Iron batteries

Options
lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
HI

Just come across a guy with a load of nickel iron batteries. He wants to integrate them into a normal 24V off-grid system. I've never worked with these type of batteries before

Can they be charged with the same charging parameters as lead-acid batteries?

Cheers
Larry

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Nickel-Iron batteries

Here is one thread from a couple years ago with lots of information and links:

Compare Nickel-Iron Edison Batteries and Chinese Ni-Fe Cells

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Nickel-Iron batteries

NO, NiFe batteries need higher charging voltage than lead-acid banks of the same base voltage.

You need to program you solar and AC based chargers to meet those needs. Just charging to lead-acid will barely give you half capacity. EQ voltage is getting close to the daily charge voltage needed. I charge my 48V bank at 67V, which the solar can manage, but my inverter, running as charger, can only get to 64v leaving me a bit short in cloudy weather.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• MattZ
    MattZ Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Mike95490
    I also live offgrid and would like to compare 
    It sounds like our Applications are similar
    I have 48 Volt system 800 ah nickel iron
    living offgrid 3 years
    5000 sq ft house with all the normal amenities
    I am wanting to add another bank to my system
    I have been finding out the nickel iron may last longer if i discharge them less
    Generator kicks on in the summer more than the winter due to the house heating up and the air conditioners having to run for Hours after the sun goes down
    I live in Missouri 
    Winters do not seem to be a problem
    I am also curious if you know when to change electrolite and if i need to be testing for it. 
    I love my System but ask me in 15 years 

NiFe 800ah Outback Inverters, 16,000 watt array, 22KW generac, 48 volt system, 5000 sq ft home