Old Trace 2012 inverter/charger ??'s

Options
2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Old Trace 2012 inverter/charger ??'s

The generator would not limit the charging capacity of the inverter. If the gen was overloaded it would just shut down completely. Having a 120 VAC input means the inverter-charger will work up to the current limit of the input.

50 Amps @ 12 Volts is 600 Watts. On the 120 Volt side that's a mere 5-6 Amps (expect some losses) and it wouldn't phase even a Honda EU1000i (800 Watt gen).

If the AC Voltage is too low the inverter will just drop it, as per previous post.

Now if the inverter is programmed with a maximum AC IN of 5 Amps and the charger is set to 120 Amps the charger will be limited because it won't allow the higher setting. How exactly the Trace would deal with that I don't know. Charger maximum current always has to be lower than AC IN maximum current (expressed in like units).
  • shockman
    shockman Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options

one more ? for Coot, i see u have a OB 3524, seems to be 85a charger, does your EU2000 run the charger?? If so with only 232 amp hrs of batt. do u limit charger to lower amps when required to use it
    4x240w panels,Classic 150 CC, 4x380AHR L16's, antique Trace 12V inverter
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    shockman wrote: »
    one more ? for Coot, i see u have a OB 3524, seems to be 85a charger, does your EU2000 run the charger??

Yes it does. No problem at all. Especially since I have a 232 Amp hour battery bank so the charger doesn't run at 85 Amps! :D Nice thing about the Outback chargers: they start at zero and ramp up to their max setting instead of starting at full power which can be very hard on a small generator.

If you actually tried to pull 85 Amps @ 24 Volts the EU2000 would not do it because it is only a 1600 Watt gen and the power demand would be over 2kW.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

By the way, for a sine wave to have 164 volts peak:

164 volts / srt(2) = 116 VAC (sign wave, RMS--Root Mean Square--True RMS reading DMM)

But as Marc/Cariboocoot says, some generators tend to sag on the peak AC voltage/AC current load from the battery charger.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset