Old Trace 2012 inverter/charger ??'s

Options
shockman
shockman Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
Need someone to diagnose my charging issues. The manual indicates that 110amps charging ability. Dip switches allow adjustment and are set at 90amps. With batteries indicating 11.6 amps under load and sg at 1.200, all I can find with clamp meter on main line between bat. and inv. is 45-50 amps?? Generator is Honda powered Tsurumi 6500 that I inherited with house?
I'm wondering if charger can be old and tired? are batts charged enough to lower input current? manual claims charger will deliver full rate until set voltage, which does not happen. Had same problem last winter when clouds and valley inversions happen and was considering Iota charger but am thinking that a new inverter/charger may be better money spent?? My fear is upgrading inverter to find charging not as smart as solar controller?? That generater sucks a lot of fuel and I'm not getting a lot of charge. Recommendations!!
Marc
4x240w panels,Classic 150 CC, 4x380AHR L16's, antique Trace 12V inverter

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Old Trace 2012 inverter/charger ??'s

You are correct that investing in keeping the old Trace going is not money well spent. It's at the end of its useful life and it will just be another problem waiting to happen even if you have a work-around for the charger.

As for that charger, you need to check and see if adding additional DC load at the battery will increase output at any given time. If the batteries won't draw full current it could be that the batteries are bad; adding additional load will show if the charger is capable of putting out more current than what they take. If it won't, then possibly a rectifier or some other component has died in the charger.

You have two parallel battery strings so you could also disconnect one at a time and see how that changes the current output of the charger. If the batteries are 'stuck' at 1.200 SG for any significant length of time they will suffer, so it's best to figure this out quickly or even put an automotive charger on them and boost them up before you get into a situation where you have to buy batteries and a new inverter.

A good inverter-charger will work almost as well as solar for charging. The profile is slightly different, because an AC based charger starts out at full current potential while solar ramps up as the sunlight increases. This has an effect on charge acceptance causing the solar to work better than AC charging. But they're good enough for days when the sun doesn't co-operate.
  • shockman
    Options

Batteries are only about 18mth's old, hope they are fine!! never have been overly abused except a few mth's this time last year where they may not have been brought up to snuff, but probably never sat very long below 50% sc. I will check sg now and run gen. and plug in coffee maker and let momma run vac and see if amps in from charger increase?? if that is what u mean by adding DC load??
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there a 12 volt output on your generator?

How old are the batteries, might well do what ever you can to charge as 'Coot suggested. sitting at 50% or below for any time will create problems.

Also how cold are the batteries? Charging is an electrochemical function and chemical reactions happen slower at cold temperatures, The act of charging will warm the batteries, you might see if an hour into charging what the current is...

If the batteries are nearly new, I'd keep pushing some current into them! even with expensive gas...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    shockman wrote: »
    Batteries are only about 18mth's old, hope they are fine!! never have been overly abused except a few mth's this time last year where they may not have been brought up to snuff, but probably never sat very long below 50% sc. I will check sg now and run gen. and plug in coffee maker and let momma run vac and see if amps in from charger increase?? if that is what u mean by adding DC load??

Okay first problem: they should never be below 50% SOC. It's bad enough if they spend time below 75% SOC without being brought back up above that level the next day.

As for adding loads, turning on AC loads will not do it as when the inverter is in charge mode all AC loads are just passed through to the generator. Thus no increase in demand on the charger. You need a load that pulls directly from the batteries. If you have a spare 12 Volt inverter around you could hook that up and run an AC load with it to see if that causes the Trace to output more during charge. Otherwise you need to rig up some hefty resistance load on the batteries such as jump-starting a car.
  • shockman
    Options

According to classic rbt batts are 11C
  • shockman
    Options

Ya! thats what I figured, have gen going and 50 amps from charger, was about to turn toaster and coffee maker on but realized power would bypass inv. from gen. at least I figured that much out :>)))
    will see if I can figure out a load off batts
  • shockman
    Options

any ideas?? cant get truck close to batts LOL, do have 12v cig lighter socks in house just cant think of anything that would draw enough current?
  • shockman
    Options

at the batts, with vm volts went quickly from 12.2 before charge to 13.3 and amps fell from 50 to 41. does that tell us anything?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Depending on the charger's settings--You want to see the batteries getting maximum available current until they reach around 14.5 volts (bulk phase of charging)... Then hold that voltage for 2-6 hours (the more discharged the battery bank, the longer the absorb time).

If your cables from the charger's DC I/O to the battery bank are too small of gauge/too long (or are loose/corroded), you can have excessive voltage drop in the wiring. Check the voltage at the inverter's terminals, and at the battery terminals).

Are these flooded cell batteries? Do you have a good quality glass hydrometer or one of these from Midnite?

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=505&productCatName=Battery%20Accessories&productCat_ID=39&sortOrder=1&act=p

Attachment not found.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shockman
    Options

I have that exact hydro volt, cables are (i forget #) but largest welding cable, about 5 feet between batts and inv.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    at the batts, with vm volts went quickly from 12.2 before charge to 13.3 and amps fell from 50 to 41. does that tell us anything?

Not really. Batteries lightly discharged will raise in Voltage quickly. So will ruined ones.
    Voltage ought to be going up to over 14 for Absorb stage.
    If your batteries are 380 Amp hours each then the bank is 760 so 41 Amps would be 5% rate and 50 Amps would be 6.5% - this is either charged batteries (which SG of 1.200 says isn't the case), defective batteries (which may have happened if V and A from the charger aren't high enough and you've been depending on it for some time), or the charger is defective which is what you need to check out.

90 Amps @ 12 Volts would be over 1kW so the generator certainly should handle that.
    You need to get like 500 Watts of additional load on those batteries just to see if the charger current will go up. That would be some pretty low resistance (like 0.3 Ohms); an awful lot of 12 Volt light bulbs.
  • shockman
    Options

how about my jumper cables, a coat hanger, a piece of steel and some welding off the batts :blush: just kidding :>))
    I really do suspect the charger as I have never seen it put out more than 50amps. I will let gen run all day and see what happens to SG, however from past experience it seems to drop amperage as voltage comes up (normal) but SG is slow to follow?
    On that note, a few questions on a new inverter. If I have properly dealt with line losses of 12v system and feel no need to expand system, is there any need to switch to 24v? Does my storage or charge rate change? I run mostly lights and laptop, ceiling fan when arriving to cold cabin in winter for couple of hours and a small freezer 24/7 365 that is at outside temps. Have no problems floating daily in summer. Are these draws all the same at 24v ?? other than the math
    OH! also have a small windmill 12V that gives me 10-12A when windy here (quite regular at this time of year) that would be useless if switching to 24v
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

If you switch from 12 Volt to 24 there will be a small increase in system efficiency. Otherwise the Watts and Watt hours remain the same, just a change in the V*A ratio by a factor of 2.

Yes, your wind turbine would be useless. Or "even more useless". :p
  • shockman
    Options
    If you switch from 12 Volt to 24 there will be a small increase in system efficiency. Otherwise the Watts and Watt hours remain the same, just a change in the V*A ratio by a factor of 2.

Yes, your wind turbine would be useless. Or "even more useless". :p

Why did I know the wind comment was coming LOL, I will assume the small efficiency gain would not offset the small wind gain ??
    So any recommendations on brand of inv/charger?? because I will probably act on this soon
    Marc
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Before you act on it at least try charging only half the battery bank at a time. If you can't bring the batteries up you're going to be buying new ones. If the inverter-charger is actually working, it doesn't need to be replaced yet.

Probably the best direct replacement for that Trace 2012 is an Outback FX2012T http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/ouin/oupooffgrand/outback-power-pure-sinewave-inverter-fx2012t.html Warning: they are not cheap and you will need a MATE I or MATE II to program it. We are talking major investment here.

Alternately have a look and see of you can find a Xantrex Prosine. Basically that is what replaced your Trace and there may be a good used one out there for you.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alternately have a look and see of you can find a Xantrex Prosine. Basically that is what replaced your Trace and there may be a good used one out there for you.

I'm not sure if that is the case, I think the Trace naming structure went to Xantrex (trXXX?), While the Prosine has been stand alone... in either case. Prosines come in 2 versions, the 1000 and 1800 watt are inverter only and 2000, 2500 and 3000 I think are all inverter chargers(I think...lol)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that is the case, I think the Trace naming structure went to Xantrex (trXXX?), While the Prosine has been stand alone... in either case. Prosines come in 2 versions, the 1000 and 1800 watt are inverter only and 2000, 2500 and 3000 I think are all inverter chargers(I think...lol)

Oddly enough I too have difficulty remembering the names and exact specifications of every inverter made in the past 20 years. We must be getting old or something. :p
  • shockman
    Options

so now after 51/2 hrs batts at 14.75v, 14.5 on classic (temp corrected ??) 14-15 amps going in, SG 1.225-1.230. Still a ways to go on SG should amperage be that low?? Will wait another 4hrs or so and see if SG comes up. If not will have to try half the bank tomorrow. Batteries are gurgling
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    so now after 51/2 hrs batts at 14.75v, 14.5 on classic (temp corrected ??) 14-15 amps going in, SG 1.225-1.230. Still a ways to go on SG should amperage be that low?? Will wait another 4hrs or so and see if SG comes up. If not will have to try half the bank tomorrow. Batteries are gurgling

Once you hit Absorb Voltage the current will be only what is needed to maintain that Voltage.
    The size of your battery bank does make this a suspiciously low number however.
  • shockman
    Options
    Once you hit Absorb Voltage the current will be only what is needed to maintain that Voltage.
    The size of your battery bank does make this a suspiciously low number however.

Thats always been my concern, the solar charger will maintain much higher current much longer as far as me comparing to SG, I'm wondering if this old charger is fooled by voltage if that makes any sense:confused: I did try using a digital car charger that would put out 35ish amps but also backed right off current as soon as voltage began to rise?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Thats always been my concern, the solar charger will maintain much higher current much longer as far as me comparing to SG, I'm wondering if this old charger is fooled by voltage if that makes any sense:confused: I did try using a digital car charger that would put out 35ish amps but also backed right off current as soon as voltage began to rise?

No, that is normal.
    Absorb stage is Voltage regulated.
    Car chargers are entirely Voltage regulated.

The trouble is that a bad battery will come up in Voltage very quickly because it is depleted in capacity.

This is one of those case-your-own-tail situations where the charger can not work properly causing the batteries to suffer which results in the charger putting out less and ... You end up replacing both.

If you can't get the SG all the way up with the normal charging you could try a corrective EQ charge at a higher than normal (Absorb) Voltage. If pushing the Voltage up doesn't help, they're toast.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

After todays healthy charge, if you can, let the batteries sit for 3 hrs or so and watch for the resting voltage (RV). That is another significant number to note. If it is higher than what RV is normally it is a positive sign.. watch the rate of V drop too this evening, is it as fast as before?

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • shockman
    Options

So, last night after 12hrs of charging I had 15v at batt terminals, bat temp had risen from 11c to 17c according to classic, SG was 1.255, amps in were still hovering around 14ish. A month or so ago with good sun by the time float hit I had no problem getting them to 1.265. All cels are within .005 SG.
    So maybe all is good and I'm just impatient?? That 12hrs was probably about $30 worth of gas in my pig generator.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Good is it will recharge from the generator as fast or faster than the solar. 12 hours of charging is unacceptably long unless the batteries were seriously depleted for some reason or possibly chronically undercharged.

This brings up your 980 Watt array. That should manage about 62 Amps, which is a bit low for recharging 760 Amp hours @ 12 Volts on its own. How has the SG managed from solar-only charging?
  • shockman
    Options

Coot, I also have another 250watts on a seperate pmw controller, however that controller shuts down at something like 13.7V, which is no biggy as classic takes over from there. SG of 1.265 is no problem on solar in summer months. Last year and this year it is these present months that give me grief. So if I was to upgrade to new inverter, the Outback is one I can buy locally at a very competitive price so wondering if a EU3000 honda would power the charger??
    Marc
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Well yes a Honda EU3000 would power it. So would a smaller one: the nice thing about an Outback is you can set both the max gen input and the max charge rate, and it ramps up from zero charge Amps (giving priority to loads). Some others hit the gen with their full charge demand, then adjust down. This can be very hard when you're trying to use a small generator.

That EU3000 is rated for 2800 Watts continuous or 23 Amps @ 120 VAC. The OB 2012 has an 80 Amp charger which is about 960 Watts. Even allowing for power factor and loads it should be no problem to run from the generator. Keep in mind the AC IN should be wired for a 20 Amp circuit at least (i.e. 12 AWG).
  • LeighC
    LeighC Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all - We have the same Trace inverter here in Australia & we found the peak volts of the AC generators we were using were not high enough under load so the charging section would not put out full current. We took the Trace to the mains grid & it charged at full power OK - Hope this helps - Leigh
  • shockman
    Options

interestingly, my manual has an asterix for 110 & 120 amp charger settings that says "requires at least 164 peak AC volts input" ?? what mean this?? has to be wired at 240V ??
    gen has 120/240 plug, but wouldn't have a clue how to wire to inverter?? prey tell!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    interestingly, my manual has an asterix for 110 & 120 amp charger settings that says "requires at least 164 peak AC volts input" ?? what mean this?? has to be wired at 240V ??
    gen has 120/240 plug, but wouldn't have a clue how to wire to inverter?? prey tell!

Peak AC: top of the waveform. 110/120 Volts is RMS. As LeighC said some generators won't hit that 164 Volt peak because they're not very good or they may sag under load and this will cause the inverter to drop the source.

Not enough details on the wiring for me to help much there. Usually the AC IN on an inverter has three wires for 120 VAC: hot, neutral, and ground. A generator will have either a 120 VAC outlet or a 240 VAC outlet, the main difference being an additional hot for the 240 VAC. You need to sort out which connection is which on both units and wire accordingly.
  • shockman
    Options

is now wired as normal, 3 wires, but wondering if gen. has anything to do with me only getting 50a max from charger? pretty sure connection on inverter will only accommodate 110