Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measured u

RSSfeedRSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Scientists have announced a world record of 31.1 percent conversion efficiency for a two-junction solar cell under one sun of illumination.111QVeevMH8

More...

Comments

  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measur
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    Scientists have announced a world record of 31.1 percent conversion efficiency for a two-junction solar cell under one sun of illumination.
    And it uses cheap and plentiful gold as the back plating to enhance reflectivity.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunnggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measur
    inetdog wrote: »
    And it uses cheap and plentiful gold as the back plating to enhance reflectivity.
    Funny how that works, innit? The race to higher efficiencies and the race to more practical solutions often do not have much to do with each other.
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measur
    ggunn wrote: »
    Funny how that works, innit? The race to higher efficiencies and the race to more practical solutions often do not have much to do with each other.
    Well sometimes in practice once the scientists have built a very expensive Proof Of Concept, the engineers will be able to find a more economical way to get close to the same result.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • bmetbmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measur

    It should work very well on the planet Vulcan
  • ggunnggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar cell record: Conversion-efficiency record for a two-junction solar cell measur
    inetdog wrote: »
    Well sometimes in practice once the scientists have built a very expensive Proof Of Concept, the engineers will be able to find a more economical way to get close to the same result.
    Sometimes, yes; sometimes, no. But we try. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.