Need help choosing a generator

Options
NorthGuy
NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
I need to buy a generator that I intend to run when my RE system is down, either for maintenance, or because of a failure. I expect this to be very rare (:D) - once a year or so. I looked at number of generators. There are very many. Very hard to choose from, especially because I'm looking for things that are not listed on the sticker.

What I need:

Fuel: gasoline
Size: 3-4kW continuous
Output: 240V split-phase with L-14 240V outlet. No GFCI!!!
Start: Pull
Reliable: I want it to start quickly when I need it
Should be able to run non-stop for a long time, possibly overnight
Should be quiet. I want to be able to sleep while it runs.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Need help choosing a generator

Besides the usual suspects (Honda/Yamaha/etc. inverter-generators for smaller loads), these two appear to be very nice units (per Chris Olson's experience):

Honda EM4000SX (electric start, can be converted to auto start)

BB. wrote: »
    Thank you Vtmaps for the original source of the battery voltage curves.

Poster ChrisOlson (and others) has some good advice here for "swimspam" :

Choosing a good generator
    genset alternator failure (and if your generator is not generating AC? What to look for/do--Thread started by "Unicornio" from Spain)
    Demonstration of Generator Support (A couple inverters that will share AC loads with the generator--smaller generator with large load support)

End result--you get what you pay for.

-Bill

Add 12/6/2012:
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    The smallest genset I have seen here so far that can be (more easily) configured to auto-start (automatic choke) is probably the Honda EM4000SX that Chris Olson is using. The choke/mixture is controlled by the electronic engine controller.
    I'd like to point out that the little 46538/46539 Champion generators also have an auto-choke and I have mine configured for auto-start with the Trace/Xantrex GSM on the SW Plus inverter. When our Generac would fail to start in cold weather I used the Champion as a backup with the auto-start and it works fine.

It is basically a three-wire start generator and you only have to tap into the wires on the back of the Combination Switch to do it, which is quite easy to do.
    --
    Chris

Regarding noise:
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    They do, but you have to be careful which one you get. Many people assume all Honda generators are quiet, and that's completely false. They do have a quiet series, and also have some that are as loud as a contractor grade model found at a big box store.

Here's a good chart comparing their various models, and how loud each one is:

dbchart.jpg

Please note the EU3000 is also 120VAC only. Take a look at ALL the larger models, and the sound levels.

Some already know this, others may not... Keep in mind that every 3 dB is twice the sound energy. The quiet series generators (Honda & Yamaha) operate ~ 53-58 dB. A contractor grade generator often is 67-72 dB. At first glance, the sound levels don't appear to be that different. The inverter generators engines only run as fast as the load demands. So at a 1/4 load, they are extremely quiet. A conventional generator is running a constant speed to make 60Hz, consequently, they generally only give one noise level on the specifications.

My Yamaha EF2400iS can run a 5000 BTU A/C unit from idle, or about 53 dB. Double the sound, that would be 56 dB, double it again, 59 dB, double it again, 62 dB, double it again, 65 dB, double it again, 68 dB, double it again, 71 dB.

There's a HUGE difference in the sound between models. This is the best video I've found that tries to demonstrate the noise level between the various Honda models:

[video]http://powerequipment.honda.com/data/videos/honda-generator-noise-level-comparison.mp4[/video]

I can tell you first hand, the video doesn't do the quiet generators justice. Until you've heard one running up close, the others don't "seem" that bad. :p

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    Besides the usual suspects (Honda/Yamaha/etc. inverter-generators for smaller loads), these two appear to be very nice units (per Chris Olson's experience

Thank you Bill. I looked at this information and read this long thread on generators.

If not limited in money, I would definitely buy Honda EU6500i. My second choice would be Honda EM4000SX. But these units seems to be overkill for my intended usage - the generator is to be used for emergency only, hopefully never. Hondas have very nice features, such as electric start, very good fuel economy, longevity etc. But I won't be able to use any of these qualities. All I need is a generator that will run reliable for 100, may be 150, hours in the entire life. But I do need reliability. When there's an emergency, the generator must start.

There are much cheaper units sold in stores: Champion, Honeywell, Generac, Briggs & Stratton and similar. They're roughly 1/3 of price of Honda. Are these units good enough for the purpose? Is there any difference between them?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

For inexpensive generators the Champion is probably the best. Several people around here have them and are satisfied with them. The small Honeywell and Generac units have not got such great reviews on the forum here. B&S used to be a venerated name. I have one of those myself and the quality is not great. I would pick the Champion (and have looked at them for back-up here in town, but the need is too little to justify the purchase).
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Kipour (Honda clones) have a reasonable rep. My neighbor have been using one for charging his off grid battery bank for ~5 years without trouble. I was surprised.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options

Depending on your ability to store/use alternative fuels (such as natural gas)--I would argue that fuel efficiency and reliability pretty much trump all... And having a low noise signature is pretty important in town (don't want to attract too much positive or negative attention).

More or less, a well running gasoline genset will produce around 3-5kWH per gallon of fuel (typically running between 50 and 100% of rated load.

You know your needs better than I--But I would very much look at your loads and split them between minimum base load (say running the home over night, or possibly 24x7 (including fridge/freezer, in your case furnace/circulator fans/pumps). And separate the other high power loads (well pump, induction/hot plate, washing machine, hot water, A/C, etc.) and put those on a noisier/cheaper genset to run during the day (for your, and your neighbors' sanity).

Get a (very quiet) inverter-generator (Honda, Yamaha, etc. especially if you can do 120 VAC) and run those... You can probably get away with 2-4 gallons of fuel per day.

And run the big genset (which is now also your emergency backup backup genset) for your heavy loads (including battery bank charging--if that is a large load for you). Those 3-5kW genset will probably drink 1/4 to 1 gallon per hour (depending on load and size).

There is a huge difference in using a couple gallons of gas per day vs using 10-20+ gallons of gas per day--Both in purchasing (in an emergency) and storage... Plus, with fuel preservative, I recycle into my car once a year--Working with a 20-25 gallon fuel bunker is just about right for me.

If you have natural gas available--And don't think that will fail, might be a good alternative (or get a tri-fuel generator or conversion). Propane may not be bad if you have a large tank on property (may need to hook up preheater/store genset in heated garage for easy starting).

Sorry to be so redundant--I am sure you have heard my backup genset talk many times already.

Regarding Brands--I would stay away from Honeywell for now--It is just a corporate name that is plastered on anything that gets them some royalty payments (it appears). The recent Honeywell inverter-gensets did not have a great reputation (the first model was even recalled or junked (?) and replaced with a newer model.

Generac--The "cheap" ones can probably last 100-200 hours before something breaks (plastic parts in the generator drive??? if I remember correctly from a few years ago).

-Bill

PS: I should add that my eu2000i has a nice little carburetor drain screw--Very nice--These little gensets have small jets and gum up pretty easily if not cleaned out or use stale fuel.

Another handy thing with eu2000i is that they have a fuel pump. You can put a sealed cap with a barb fitting (or buy a kit) and dump a hose into a 5 gallon container, the the eu2000i (others?) will draw fuel from the tanks (no positive pressure required). So, very easy to get 5-6 gallons of fuel without having to refill the 1.1 gallon fuel tank every few hours.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NG, I think the output requirements of split phase and 4000w+ are going to be the constraining factors. If you can satisfy these the rest will come with them. My preference is to Honda after listening to my 3000w 'screamer' for 3 summers during build. Quieter is worth it to me. Reliability, 1 pull start (well maybe 2), lower daily operating cost (gas), peace of mind about not running out of oil (auto shut down), repair-ability...

Lots to choose from

HTH

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

You could try local companies that build generator sets. I got mine from one of these, they build systems with a Honda GX270 engine and a Syncro alternator, fitted with both pull and electric start and a long run tank. Get the benefit of a Honda engine without the cost of a Honda generator. There are quite a few of these types of builders are here that'll sell Own Brand genset which is just Honda engine + alternator + the additional features you want. Might also be easier to find a split phase alternator this way.
  • NorthGuy
    Options

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

I looked at several generators. The biggest problem is that smaller generators are 120V only. 240V are at least 5-6kW. That would be Ok, but I thought about what Bill said about gas storage, and I don't really want to store 20 gallons of fuel all the time. Smaller model (3kW or so) would consume less gas, and I don't really need 5kW. But 120V wouldn't work for me. One of my most important loads is a water pump 1.3kW/240V.

Kipor seems to be the same as Honda and the price is not that different. I'd better buy Honda.

I'll try to find local generator builders, but I'm afraid this might be more, not less expensive - everything is priced higher in Canada.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »

I looked at several generators. The biggest problem is that smaller generators are 120V only. 240V are at least 5-6kW. That would be Ok, but I thought about what Bill said about gas storage, and I don't really want to store 20 gallons of fuel all the time. Smaller model (3kW or so) would consume less gas, and I don't really need 5kW. But 120V wouldn't work for me. One of my most important loads is a water pump 1.3kW/240V.

Kipor seems to be the same as Honda and the price is not that different. I'd better buy Honda.

I'll try to find local generator builders, but I'm afraid this might be more, not less expensive - everything is priced higher in Canada.

You could go with a Yamaha and get a fuel conversion kit (or order the generator with dual or tri fuel capability), to run on propane (or natural gas if you have it). With propane, there's no concern about storing gas, is safer, runs cleaner, and will give you longer run time, particularly if you get a larger propane tank. Yamaha will honor their warranty with a fuel conversion if you buy the unit from an authorized dealer that does the conversion. Honda does not!:cry:

That's the route I plan to take when I aquire a larger generator. And with tri fuel, you can easily switch from one fuel source to another!

For your water pump, I would look at getting a transformer, and then a 120 volt generator would work fine.
  • BB.
    Options

There is always the option of two... One small, one large (cheaper/used) to run the well pump (put in a few hundred gallon cistern for emergency storage--use a 12/24 volt pump to pressurize the home).

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this will work but what about a pair of Eu2000i 's with the link cables, not sure but I think they are sync'ed when joined... Hmmm looks like they do not supply them with the 2000 series though they used to. maybe another make?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • newl
    newl Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it is worth, my EU20i that I purchased last year came with the link cable as well as the DC cable.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northerner wrote: »
    For your water pump, I would look at getting a transformer, and then a 120 volt generator would work fine.

I second that suggestion. The transformer will pay for itself immediately because you spend less on the smaller generator. The transformer will pay for itself over time because of fuel savings with a smaller generator.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I second that suggestion. The transformer will pay for itself immediately because you spend less on the smaller generator. The transformer will pay for itself over time because of fuel savings with a smaller generator.

That makes sense. I'll spend some more time trying to find a small generator with 240V or build a custom one as stephendv suggested. But If I fail, I will buy 120V generator and a step up transformer.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have been watching this Thread for a while ...

NG, gid not see battery charging on the list of uses for the genset. Know that you have a large PV array, and are considering doubling it ...
    You COULD charge batts in an emergency with a very small genset, it just takes a while.

Have looked at the generator "integrators" in the past -- those who assemble gensets from parts and pieces from here and there. Even the best of them generally do not build quiet gensets. They can place one of their gensets in a sound-attenuated enclosure, but it is often a bit of a kludge. And, when I looked fairly carefully at this type of supplier in the USA a few years ago, seemed that their main goal was to find the absolute lowest cost parts that would minimally do the job. One week the Alternator would come from Italy, the next, from Croatia, and now, probably mostly these important parts will come from China.

To me, buying a name-brand genset that is designed to do the job and meet specs for a reasonably long time, and is an engineered solution, not a collection of parts from here and there that MIGHT kinna do the job, will have a much better chance of being reliable, and making the owner much happier.

Two gensets might be a good solution. Or, perhaps a Honda EU6500is -- 240 VAC out, quiet, IS a Honda, semi-portable on the good side. Has electric start, is large and heavy, fairly expensive, and consumes more fuel at low loads than a 3-ish Kw genset on the negative side.

An EU3000is, in my opinion, is the nicest of the Honda Inverter gensets in the Honda line. Very quiet, large fuel tank, one person CAN wrestle it around and load it into a pickup, has electric and pull start, not too expensive, BUT is only 120 VAC out. Just not certain about starting a pump (with a transformer) with any 3-ish Kw genset.

Too many trade-offs. Good Luck! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • kc6cnn
    kc6cnn Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options

Hello NorthGuy
    I purchased a Honda EU300IS and converted it to propane. The reason for the propane conversion was that gas goes bad and so dues diesel. Propane can be stored almost indefinitely. Plus you do not have to worry about running the carbs clean and it starts every time. I use the EU3000IS to run a 100 amp battery charger. When the controller read my setting it will kick on the generator and charge my bank back to full. Then it will turn off the generator and continue back on battery usage. It is just my emergency " didn't get sun for days" option.
    This may not be the best, but it works good for me.
    Good Luck
    Gerald
  • BB.
    Options

K6, how did you setup the remote start for the eu3000i? Propane in warm climate does not need a choke on the eu3000i?

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi BB Bill,

I'm not Gerald, but none of the gaseous-fueled gensets that I've had had any chokes. As you know the choke on a gasoline engine uses engine vacuum to pull fuel into the venturis. For LPG or NG, there is either a solenoid valve (and)/or an engine vacuum contolled valve that turns on the flow of the gas. In very cold climes, sometimes the fuel will not evaporate in the tank, but, often, there is some residual gas that might allow the engine to start but not always continue running ... but been a long time since I've been in climate that cold.

Ooinions, FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options

For a small generator that's cheap in cost and good quality I would pick a Champion. They make this 5,000 watt one, which based on my experience with them would really be about 4 kVA continuous:
    http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/41115/

The engines on them are good design, the gen head is a good design and they have a regular AVR that is adjustable. Champion Power Equipment also has tech support that is second to none in the business. That's based on my experience with them and I do not have one complaint on our little 46538 backup unit other than the fact that it's power output is over-rated (assuming you want to maintain 59-61 Hz so your loads are happy).

The Honda EM4000SX is basically a $2,500 generator in Canada. For the extra money you get full auto-start capability with electronically controlled engine and computer controlled frequency and voltage regulation. The output of the Honda is as clean as any inverter generator, plus it has auto-throttle so it can idle down under lighter or no loads. And you get the legendary Honda quality and warranty with a brick and mortar, walk-in dealer network that is second to none.

The Honda is more fuel efficient than the Champion by quite a bit. It is not really any quieter but it has a different type of exhaust note that makes it seem quieter. The Champion engine's muffler emits a sort of sharp sound at higher outputs (and this also applies to the bigger Champion models which I also have experience with). The Honda's exhaust note is more of a deep throated rumble and without the sharper higher-pitched sound frequencies emitted by the Champion it makes it seem quieter and more pleasant to listen to when you're standing by it.

If you make a homemade generator enclosure like I built for our Honda you can put the thing right by your house and you won't hear it inside in either case as long as the exhaust is on the side away from the house.

I've run various other generators and they're a dime a dozen in the box stores. Generac portables are one to stay away from. Yanmar diesel portables are good, but very loud. Some of these generators use Honda engines but that doesn't mean they're quiet. They just buy an off-the-shelf Honda GX engine and strap it to a generator frame and it doesn't have the same muffler our EM4000SX has, so it's going to be louder.

So I guess for a unit that would be used very rarely, and you don't mind dumping a little fuel thru it, I'd get a Champion unit. If you want the top-of-the-line with best in class fuel economy and clean stable output, get a Honda. Your loads and inverter will be REALLY happy with the Honda. With the Champion you might get a few glitches now and then if a surge load hits and you're going to notice some slight flickering in your CFL's on AC Passthru, simply because it does not have the tolerance on THD that the Honda has.

Either one has 240V output.
    --
    Chris
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Generac--The "cheap" ones can probably last 100-200 hours before something breaks (plastic parts in the generator drive??? if I remember correctly from a few years ago).

The Generac portables with the OHV (Chinese) engine have a thermoplastic camshaft. They are a limited duty unit and their power output drops dramatically after a couple hundred hours and you start to loose valve lift because the tips of the cam lobes wear off. You can adjust the valves and all this does is get the valve lift back, but it also increases the duration so they burn more fuel and make the muffler glow in the dark.

It might be just my opinion, but the GP-series Generacs are one of prime examples of what you can buy for really cheap box store junk.
    --
    Chris
  • kc6cnn
    kc6cnn Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options
    K6, how did you setup the remote start for the eu3000i? Propane in warm climate does not need a choke on the eu3000i?

-Bill

BB
    I purchased the add on remote generator start and hooked it up to my generator. The generator will start faster if I push the prime button, but it starts fine without, just takes a little more cranking. I had to use it when the temp down here dropped to 31 degrees this winter and all ran great. It was a good option for me living here where it doesn't get too cold for two long.
    Gerald
  • NorthGuy
    Options

I thought about propane, and I feel more comfortable with storing gasoline. I still need it for chain saw etc. and I can use it in my car.

Probably, it's not such a good idea to look at face ratings of the generators. May be Hondas can deliver rated power, but most of the cheap generators won't. The last think I want to do is to buy a generator and then figure out that it cannot start my water pump. So, to get 3-4kW generator, I probably need to buy a generator which is rated for 5-6kW continuous. Even those bigger ones cost much less than 4kW Honda. In addition, as Vic mentioned, bigger generator will be better if I need to use it for charging batteries. There are plenty of these available in 240V.

Coot and Chris recommend Champion. 5kW model is not available in Canada, but this one is. It is rated 5500W continuous, so should be at least 4kW in real life. Interestingly enough its US targeted model is sold on Amazon as 6800W generator, and of course much cheaper than in Canada.

My only reservation is that it is terribly noisy, but the only non-noisy alternative is Honda EU6500i (almost $5K) or Honda EU3000i with transformer (almost $3K), which are too expensive for such a rare use.

Looks like Champion is the champion.
  • BB.
    Options

I would still look at that Honda EM4000SX -- It probably has better surge support than the 5.5 kW unit (Chris is the best person to answer that question). But only if the price is right for you.

I am very scared of large gensets and the costs/hassles of fuel storage (especially in a regional emergency where gas stations are shut down/inaccessible).

In any case, I would still highly suggest the Honda eu2000i or equivalent. The fuel savings for 90% of your power usage will be significant vs a 5.5 kW unit (1/4 the fuel use).

However, if you assume your battery bank is still working, using a large genset + appropriate generator ~50% loaded with a battery charger bulking your bank in an emergency (charging to ~80-85% maximum SOC for days at a time) is going to be much more efficient than a bare generator running your (typically) small AC loads 24x7.

I know that it is difficult to justify one backup genset--And it is doubly hard to justify a second Honda eu2000i backup to the backup--It all depends on what your "emergencies" look like.

Here we have earthquakes--Which, in our region are still relatively local events (they take out parts of a few cities in a region, even the larger ones). They are not (at least so far) full state/multi state events that uniformly take out everything (power, stores, etc.) that happen with hurricanes, Ice Storms, etc... (earthquakes in the central/east US may be different--New Madrid fault is on "older" base rock which tends to "ring like a bell". A California sized earthquake which may affect the Los Angeles basin would affect a 1/3 or more of the eastern US--plus they usually do not have the earthquake building codes we have out west).

But, even in my case, how to you plan/spend/justify for an event that occurs every ~100 years +/- 50 years. Then you start with layered planning. In a metro area, either they start to recover in ~3 days, or the don't. And if they don't, we lose sewers (pumping/processing), and they may turn of city water to reduce/prevent sewage backups, etc. And in any case, we will probably lose city water after 5-10 days until power/backup power is restored. So, then bugging out (using the generator fuel to put in the car+family+a few supplies) may be the next option, etc.

-Bill
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    My only reservation is that it is terribly noisy

If you buy some 2 x 4's, some foam insulation, and a couple sheets of building steel, put some thought into how to provide ventilation and cooling air for your generator, and some thought into how to route the exhaust - I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how well you can quiet down a regular old portable generator by building an enclosure for it. This is what I built for our Honda:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/110979388690716770927/albums/5785954905109999617?banner=pwa

The only real difference between portables and stationary units is in the sound deadening and muffler used on the exhaust in how quiet they are. The stainless steel vent pipe with a cap on it that diffuses the sound waves makes a HUGE difference in the exhaust noise alone. And it's pretty cheap to do. I think I've got about 200 bucks in the enclosure for our Honda. And it lives in there, out of the weather, uses its own heat to keep it at about 70 degrees in there in the winter time so the air cooled engine runs at adequate operating temp, and is ready for action whenever it's needed.

Also take into account to provide access panels so you can fuel it and easily change oil without having to pull it out of there.

I think you'd be happy with it and you can quiet a big portable down to the same sound levels as a EU2000 running at partial load.
    --
    Chris
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    I would still look at that Honda EM4000SX -- It probably has better surge support than the 5.5 kW unit (Chris is the best person to answer that question). But only if the price is right for you.

The EM4000SX is an expensive generator, though, Bill. Here in the states it's about in the same price range as a Generac 8 kW Guardian. It's a lot of generator to leave setting around and not use it very much (although I do believe NorthGuy would find out it makes his 10 kW Generac look rather shoddy in comparison).

There are applications for cheaper generators for a backup unit. And I think this is one of those times. Our little Champion 46538 was cheap, I run it every now and then to keep it exercised, and it serves its purpose well at very little cost. It seems to me NorthGuy is looking at the same things I looked at when I decided to use that little Champ for a backup unit.

Storing gasoline is not a big issue. These little generators don't burn much and they'll run for hours on a tank of gas. Throw a little Sta-Bil in a five gallon can and you can store it for a year without any issues. And if you haven't used it in that time dump it in the lawnmower or car and go get another fresh can full. Same with the generator. Going into summer I'll treat the gas in the gen with Sta-Bil because it won't run for weeks at a time. We switch to cooking on the charcoal grille and drying clothes on the clothesline in the summer so it has no need to run. I have yet to have a problem with one with Sta-Bil in the gas, setting around for months.
    --
    Chris
  • NorthGuy
    Options

Honda EU2000i is probably too small. It probably will not be able to start my water pump. EU3000i would probably be ok, but it's $3K with the transformer.

I intend to keep the generater in the (heated) garage, away from the elements, then when time comes, pull it out, plug it into a receptacle in the wall (need to install that), start it and let it run.

I think it's a good idea to weld a cap or silencer on the exhaust. Our house has good sound isolation, so it might be possible to sleep with the generator on. As a last resort, I can switch it off for the night. Since I intend to use it very rarely, I can live with little inconveniences. We used to live through long power outages without any backup power when we were connected to the grid.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    I intend to keep the generater in the (heated) garage, away from the elements, then when time comes, pull it out, plug it into a receptacle in the wall (need to install that), start it and let it run.

I would suggest making it convenient enough to pull it out at least once a month and run it for an hour, year 'round. I've seen more portable generators fail to work from setting around in garages than what have been worn out from using them.
    --
    Chris
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^I second that notion! I try to run most of my engines at least once a month, until warm. Failing that, store them completly devoid of fuel, especially the carbs. Run them dry, and drain the bowls.

Tony
  • Sun Dog
    Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Options

Coot and Chris recommend Champion. 5kW model is not available in Canada, but this one is. It is rated 5500W continuous, so should be at least 4kW in real life. Interestingly enough its US targeted model is sold on Amazon as 6800W generator, and of course much cheaper than in Canada.

I have that exact generator and am happy with it. It is a bit loud and not great on fuel but you say this is for a once/year emergency type scenario and for that (and more) I would say it is a good choice. It regularly goes on sale at CT for $200 off. The continuous rating is 5000W (not 5500) and it has an easy to access drain on the float bowl. As mentioned, customer service is great. I think it is US based and the one time I called I got a knowledgeable guy who I could understand.

I did have to adjust the frequency output (idle screw) and the voltage output. The frequency was hitting 65Hz and maybe higher and was causing my XW to disconnect. It is now at 59Hz under load and 61 or so with little to no load on it. I just used the Hz and L1 and L2 readings on the SCP to make my adjustments, very handy. Adjusting the AVR is slightly trickier as you are working around spinning parts. I just had my wife read off the voltage values as I made the adjustments.

If you are going to use for charging, and why not, make sure to adjust your charging % so that you don't overload it.
  • unyalli
    unyalli Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Options

This monster ought to do it.

Champion 7200 with remote start.

- Jeff