Getting ready to build my panels soon. Need lot of advice :)

Options
2»

Comments

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Getting ready to build my panels soon. Need lot of advice :)

Photowhit
    I live in rosebud MO and have two daughters living in the marshfield springfield area. Perhaps next fall when I retire and am back home I might take you up on looking at what you have done. I am about $10,000 into my system with nothing installed yet. Still have to get two turbine towers and run thousand worth of wire. My panel mount will probly take another thousand to finish and I will spend 1600 on batteries. I also want 2800 watts more panels. I won't come out ahead but I am a slow learner. I'm going to use it anyway as except for the things still to do it is payed for.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Fun huh.
    gww
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To beat this equine one more time.

I am not figuring that there is no such thing as "peak oil", merely that it is (and has been) a moving target. Shake gas and oil predictions are also moving targets, that are part of the larger moving target. I also believe that we are on the road to crisis due to CO2 emission and feed back loops, don't get me wrong, I just don't talk about it here due to the painting nature of the conversation on what we try to keep as a polite forum. I agree with you Photo about the consequences of both scenarios, but I would posit that if one desires to reduce the environmental foot print due to thier energy choices, grid tie is a far more effective way to do it.

I am simply saying that at current costs, off grid battery systems will deliver power at a significantly higher kwh cost than the grid. I don't see that changing any time in the future, near or far. the bottom line, we probably don't disagree with the problems, just with the solutions.

Tony
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you son,t thomk we have gas, READ THIS! http://rockzi.com/newspage?id=3be7bb04a10fca014b616d7072a37d70&tag=/rockzi2/shale&width=600&pt=Shale%20News%20-%20Go%20Marcellus%20%26%20Utica%20Shale%3A%20Leasing%2C%20Drilling%20%26%20Mineral%20Rights&page=1&btnbg=f8d812&height=4000&noheader=1&p=http%3A%2F%2Fgomarcellusshale.com%2Fshale-news&bg=fff& Also another forum I belong to that has lots of info about the shale gas and oil exploration in my areas and other states. If you click states and click mercer county it brings up the county where I live. First utica shale well was drilled late last year into this year. Everything is booming and I hope to get a piece of the action. http://gomarcellusshale.com/
    :Dsolarvic:D
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Moderators. Some of us (including me) have strayed from the original post . Some of us have differing opinions about the cost and available energy, gas and oil. I wouldn,t be offended if one of the moderators would move the part of the thread where the oil and gas entered the post to a new post where this could be discussed. I is sure that there are probably others interested in the subject such as I. Thanks solarvic
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »
    Photowhit
    I live in rosebud MO and have two daughters living in the marshfield springfield area.
    gww

Are you one of those with the $32 a month user fee? I had a post on another forum and someone had posted about the high fee and I picked up a composing toilet in Springfield and the owner confirmed it. I think some of these high user fees are designed to prevent grid tied systems, though perhaps it does take that much to maintain the lines...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

Photowhit
    I am with ameren and I don't think I have the high rate but I am not sure how to check.
    gww