Tristar TS-60 Question

larcal
larcal Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭
Hi all-- been looking thru manual for the Morningstar, Tristar, TS-60 (not the MPPT one) and can't find this. Running a C-60 now but unhappy with the way it does absorbtion charge, being only time dependent and it's not adjustable, just 1 hour.

How does the TS-60 do it, both doing it with dip switch method and the using the software? Even with the more primitive former method the manual does not mention how long it holds at bulk voltage and with the software method can one adjust time and amps or just time or maybe no adjustment?

Also wondering how well their temp sensor works. I'm used to Xantrex type where it is sandwiched between batteries and thus insulated from air temp and below electrolyte level but their method of a ring terminal bolted to top lug seems like you'd just be reading temp in battery box or at least partially so and not the crucial electrolyte temp. Hoping someone has stuck a thermometer in a cell and checked against what volts it went into absorb. Sure doesn't matter how good the controller is if the the temp sensor is not accurate.

Thank you.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Tristar TS-60 Question
    larcal wrote: »

Also wondering how well their temp sensor works. I'm used to Xantrex type where it is sandwiched between batteries and thus insulated from air temp and below electrolyte level but their method of a ring terminal bolted to top lug seems like you'd just be reading temp in battery box or at least partially so and not the crucial electrolyte temp. Hoping someone has stuck a thermometer in a cell and checked against what volts it went into absorb. Sure doesn't matter how good the controller is if the the temp sensor is not accurate.

Thank you.

The thermal conductivity of lead being what it is, and if there were no cables connected to the lug, the terminal would probably be about as close to electrolyte temperature as the case-side temperature. But if you have great heavy copper wires that are air cooled attached to the same terminal, then you could have a problem.
    The Xantrex type could have some problems of its own if you have only one battery. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I cannot say just how the TS-60 PWM CC handles Absorb time.

Terminal-mounted BTSes can have errors caused by current flow heating the terminals/lugs/cables. This would normally be associated with high current charging - often from a genset.

If the battery bank is in a box, heat from charging, Absorption and EQing could accumulate at the top of the box, and perhaps slightly affect the temperature compensation of the bank.

Personally, would just tape the TS BTS to the side of a battery, midway down the case, similar to the way the other BTS is mounted. Just tape over the top of the TS BTS. And if it were my battery bank, would tape a chunk of StyroFoam sheet over the top of all of the BTSes on a single battery, near the center of the bank, to reduce the effects of ambient temps upon the measured battery temperature.
    Just opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • larcal

Thanks Inetdog and Vic for the observations. Good point about avoiding a lug with wires if you're going to do that, but really Guess best to tape to side with a lot of insulation, that is if i ever get one of these pwm controllers. Really need to find out how absorbtion is done on this so guess I'll hang for a few weeks and hope someone who has owned a TS-60 sees this thread, though maybe since Morningstar makes such simple info so hard to access I'll just write them off. I mean, if they can't do this right what can they do? Controllers probably suck also. The manual online says nothing, nor does the downloaded software. Maybe have to have it hooked to controller. Tried calling couple of dealers, nada. Call Morningstar and there's no 0 to click to talk to a person! You're expected to allready know some ext.# !!! If i ever do get one I'll report as to this issue, promise. Maybe no one cares though. Everyone just doing MPPT?
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • larcal

Rgk1- you might want to look there yourself. Do you work for Morningstar by any chance? As I said, I allready looked at the software and manual, as I'm not in the habit of asking others for info I can easily look up myself. Did finally bust thru to Morningstar by randomly punching ext. #'s in several calls until got the voice of a guy who sounded like he knew something. Call was returned by a knowledgable fellow who was clear and intent on being helpful, so that's good, and I was told some useful things. But still, I'd feel better seeing it in writing before buying Like i said, maybe the software instructs only if machine is connected, didn't ask about that.

Would love to hear from someone here who has owned the PWM and has no financial bias. Failing that, haven't looked at MPPT software and no time until Friday now but what is that software like? Does it explain all the absorbtion stuff without having the controller?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

larcal;

There is no one on the forum who works for Morningstar. Be careful with the attitude.

Yours is the first instance I've ever heard of someone having difficulty in obtaining MS info or contacting the company.

Here is the direct link to the MSVIew software: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/item.cfm?ItemId=400
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

The MSView software has a Tristar setup wizard which you can run through without having the device connected, this will give you a clear idea of exactly what you can configure with it.
    It does allow you to set the absorb time, although it does it in a strange way using the duty cycle of the controller:

Attachment not found.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    The MSView software has a Tristar setup wizard which you can run through without having the device connected, this will give you a clear idea of exactly what you can configure with it.
    It does allow you to set the absorb time, although it does it in a strange way using the duty cycle of the controller:

If I understand this correctly, what is really happening is that you are effectively defining an End Amps value in terms of the duty cycle rather than directly affecting Absorb Time. Is that a fair statement?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Stephendv, thanks for getting that screen shot on there. I couln't do it is why i recommened downloading and looking. Plus there are explanations for those fields. I was forced to look at that and read up on what all the settings were because....Well, I admit it, I'm a newb and have programmed my Tristar MPPT with the settings meant for the Tristar. Took me a while to figure that one out. Thus the "make sure you pick the right controller from the list" comment. And, no, I don't work for morningstar. Just a guy making mistakes and trying to help someone from things I have seen and done and the mistakes along the way.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    rgk1 wrote: »
    (I'm) Just a guy making mistakes and trying to help someone from things I have seen and done and the mistakes along the way.

That rgk1, could be said of most of us. I know it applies to me. Thankfully the majority of folks asking questions here, appreciate what each of us has to offer and thus leave better informed than when they arrived.
    Keep up the good work!
    Peace.
  • garlmike
    garlmike Registered Users Posts: 14
    larcal wrote: »
    Hi all-- been looking thru manual for the Morningstar, Tristar, TS-60 (not the MPPT one) and can't find this. Running a C-60 now but unhappy with the way it does absorbtion charge, being only time dependent and it's not adjustable, just 1 hour.

How does the TS-60 do it, both doing it with dip switch method and the using the software? Even with the more primitive former method the manual does not mention how long it holds at bulk voltage and with the software method can one adjust time and amps or just time or maybe no adjustment?

Thank you.

I had no problem setting it to 3 hrs absorb, just use "custom settings". with the MSView, maybe you check for updated software. The temp sensor on mine works good. I have the MPPT. no complains yet.
  • drfhm
    drfhm Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited February 2017 #13
    I know its an old thread but if anyone is still looking to see how the Morningstar TS-45 or TS-60 controllers works out the Absorption time then its not time or voltage dependent . The duty cycle is derived from a square waveform and the percentage of time - out of each complete cycle - when current is allowed to flow. Current is regulated by opening and closing the PV-battery circuit -- the essence of a series charge controller. A 50% duty cycle means that current is flowing, and interrupted for, half of the cycle. The controllers pulse with a frequency of 300 Hz, so each cycle lasts 1/300th of a second. By varying the duty cycle, it can control the average current going into the battery so that the regulation voltage is maintained but not exceeded. As the battery reaches full charge at a particular voltage, it will require less and less current to maintain that voltage and the duty cycle will decrease. The duty cycle will approach zero %, but will never actually get there because losses and battery self-discharge require at least some current to maintain regulation voltage.  30% or less duty cycle is required for an hour meaning that 30% of AVAILABLE charging current is allowed to pass. Duty cycle is the best measure to determine how deep a battery may be in regulation. The 30% or less figure for an hour is cumulative not consecutive . Its quite possible that a controller would never pass from Absorption to Float depending on several factors .

1. Reduced radiation and current. With less available charge current, the duty cycle will inevitably be higher making the transition to float more difficult; 
    2. Load on the battery. Loads on the battery drain current from the battery which causes a higher duty cycle. If the load is large enough (greater than the amount of solar current ) 
    it can pull the controller into 100% duty cycle and out of absorption - into bulk charging; 3. Aging batteries. Old batteries tend to absorb more current at regulation, keeping duty 
    cycle high. Sulfation leads to higher internal resistance, and more energy loss in the form of heat, which leads to excessive water loss.

I hope the information is helpful to someone as i have received a lot of help from this forum , it would be good to give something back .
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That was the exact explanation I received from tech support, word for word, must be a form letter used, left mine alone as there is always a load, a refrigerator. Seems to work fine as is. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • drfhm
    edited February 2017 #15
    Yea , the problem is the manuel for MSVieW is lacking anything more than the basics , i have to ask Morningstar tech guy so many questions , fortunately the guy i deal with has the patience to help out with explanations like above . Still lots of unanswered questions though . For instance in the Logging results whats Vb min and Vb max  i have Min 7.65 and Max 31.17 in the logger but in State1 there Min 31.17 and Max 7.65 , mine is a TS-60 so i assume it relates to that model .  I also dont understand what the units represent for Absorb - Float and Equalization , mine is only a week old and i have been checking it every hour during daylight and never seen it go into float , in fact thats how i knew the post i made the other day explaining them , i asked the guy and that was his reply , the figures in the logging show 36224 for float last Saturday and by Wednesday it had gone up 1 to 36225 and i manually equalized once for 3 hours and im showing figures of 512 101 202 and 1536 over 4 different days . Any info would be greatly appreciated as im getting to the point now where im considering removing it and looking for an alternative , spent so much on Rolls Batteries 3 weeks ago i just dont feel comfortable accepting everything working as it should . , Having had morningstar Prostars and fitted them to a lot of friends here and without exception they have all been trouble free for 14 years in constant use and still performing as they should i had confidence in their products so choose them over other manufactures . I take readings now with 3 multi meters to be sure the readings are correct and the sense wire , fitted in accordance with instructions , 2 meters long 18 AWG and correct polarity and it shows between 0.2 and 0.5 lower than the batteries themselves . Watched MSView while taking readings with the multi meter and i just cant reconcile the important ones , panel voltage , charge States all fine and agree with LEDS but not terminal voltage or the controller or sense , remove the sense from the controller and its identical to batteries , connect it again and the voltage there has dropped up to .05v although MSView shows it close to that actual voltages of the batteries . As you see so many anomalies without any apparent explanation , to many to feel confident . Even the time on MSView is showing UTC time and my laptops are all set to UTC+1 hour , change laptops to UTC+2 hours and MSView is showing my time , laptops however are an hour ahead .
  • mcgivor
     Had a TS 60 in service for a year and a half, the only time I ever saw it in float was the first time it was hooked up, with new batteries and no load, commission charge. Since then there has always been a load, even the inverter in idle is a load, the duty cycle dropped down into the teens but never for long enough, refrigerator kicked on raising the % to 30+ which would reset the counter, 1 hour count down under 30%.

My experience is only with using thr remote meter, not software, so it could have gone into float without me noticing. The figures you state in the paragraph below, 36224, 522,101 etc what are these could you elaborate ?

@ drfhm said Yea , the problem is the manuel for MSVieW is lacking anything more than the basics , i have to ask Morningstar tech guy so many questions , fortunately the guy i deal with has the patience to help out with explanations like above . Still lots of unanswered questions though . For instance in the Logging results whats Vb min and Vb max  i have Min 7.65 and Max 31.17 in the logger but in State1 there Min 31.17 and Max 7.65 , mine is a TS-60 so i assume it relates to that model .  I also dont understand what the units represent for Absorb - Float and Equalization , mine is only a week old and i have been checking it every hour during daylight and never seen it go into float , in fact thats how i knew the post i made the other day explaining them , i asked the guy and that was his reply , the figures in the logging show 36224 for float last Saturday and by Wednesday it had gone up 1 to 36225 and i manually equalized once for 3 hours and im showing figures of 512 101 202 and 1536 over 4 different days 

Otherwise, the controller has been fine, had some low Vb reading with one, which was easily reset and assumed the explanation about not going into float made sense,because of load, my assumption was  as the current was so low it didn't matter because the sun would go down anyway and end the charging.

Yesterday I removed the older unit and replaced it with a Schneider Conext 60 150 MPPT, reason being I had the wrong panels, 60 cell not 72, today, first day in service 5 hours it goes into float, same loads connected, I'm thinking is this good or bad, it's only noon and in float, but it's the first day so cannot draw conclusive opinions.

As far as voltage readings  were concerned, the remote meter and battery  readings taken with 2 Fluke DMM's were consistent, this is with both TS 60's, I have a second one on a new system, although that unit has different issues, currently in discussion with tech support . Now that one is essentially a spare I'll download the software and venture into that aspect, on a test bed setup. 

From what I understand Rolls batteries need long absorbtion cycles, so perhaps  not a bad thing. My guessing is there is probably a simple solution to the software issues and frustration is setting in, they have a good reputation generally, for reliability, see link to a thread involving a TS 60 MPPT almost identical unit save the MPPT circuit  , and the resolution. My comments were in reference to my new setup. There seems to be little interest in PWM in general these days, except for smaller systems.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/367388#Comment_367388
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I removed the older unit and replaced it with a Schneider Conext 60 150 MPPT, reason being I had the wrong panels, 60 cell not 72, today, first day in service 5 hours it goes into float, same loads connected, I'm thinking is this good or bad, it's only noon and in float, but it's the first day so cannot draw conclusive opinions.
    Comparing a PWM vs MPPT   and likely different default bulk voltage and absorb times, watch out.
    With the MS-TS what was your battery water usage (if you had flooded),  Water usage is a fair indicator of under/over charging,

There have been many battery banks damaged from improper defaults, so check up on what the controller is doing

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mike95490 said:
    Comparing a PWM vs MPPT   and likely different default bulk voltage and absorb times, watch out.
    With the MS-TS what was your battery water usage (if you had flooded),  Water usage is a fair indicator of under/over charging,

There have been many battery banks damaged from improper defaults, so check up on what the controller is doing

Thanks for your input Mike, yes flooded water consumption was moderate, 10-15 mm. over 3 months but in the last 6 months I maintain max level by adding water consistently after checking SG when fully charged, every week, overal equates to same amount.

The bulk, absorbtion and float values are set identical to the PWM, battery manufacturers specs, I'm watching very carefully, don't have to work so this is now my job, Schneider installed late yesterday so first day in service, seems like a nice CC for the price $450. time will tell.
  • drfhm
    edited February 2017 #19
    Thanks both , 

" i manually equalized once for 3 hours and im showing figures of 512 101 202 and 1536 over 4 different days " they were the figures in the log for Equalization . I am more then happy to take screenshots or provide information of anything that would help , really want to get to the bottom of this and understand everything . Set up for a state last night to capture every 15 mins , looking at the spreadsheet figures everything looks as it should except for the time , my time here is 1 hour ahead of UCT but now i have set the laptop 1 hour ahead of UCT in order that MSView would show the correct time , strange as MSView has to use the internal clock to acquire the time but for some reason records an hour behind it . As you can see the TS-60 has only been connected for a week , straight out of the box and everything meticulously done according the the instructions , there is no doubt about that . Although i have never had reason to doubt my multi meter i bought another to be sure and even borrowed a third hoping to explain the different readings between the controller and direct readings with multi meter . There was an additional source of charged added for a few hours the day the TS-60 was connected which is why there is a HVD shown of 31.7 , 31.8 being the equalization charge voltage for Rolls batteries , it was a 20 amp charger direct to the battery's as Rolls had suggested as the batteries were only a couple of weeks older than the TS-60 , bought many sets of rolls batteries for friends and this has always been necessary initially  . The batteries had been in use for 2 weeks prior to the TS-60 being connected and charged via a Prostars however as pointed out Rolls need higher voltage set points which is why the change to a single 60 amp adjustable controller . My cables between the controller and batteries are 2 meters long , one meter between batteries and Bus Bar consisting of 2x 6AWG for each pos and neg then 1 x 6 AWG from Bus bar to Controller . The log also shows 240 amp/hrs fr the first day it was connected , there was no way the panels could have given out that amount even in a full day and it only had about 4 hours so the first line appears to be far removed from reality .

What is Vb Min and Vb max , am i right thinking there Voltages at the Controllers battery terminals .
    The numbers for ABS - EQ - FLOAT , what units do they represent , minutes ?
    Have you noticed a difference between Multi meter reading and the TS-60 reading when taken directly , if so what did you attribute it to .
    Why the min 7.65 and max 31.7 on State but opposite way around on the Log , whatever there was never a moment when the Battrie voltage was to 7.65 

• drfhm
    edited February 2017 #20
    Sorry ,forgot to add this screen shot taken a few mins ago , its early here dark and wet . Mcgiver you prob already realize but you said " refrigerator kicked on raising the % to 30+ which would reset the counter, 1 hour count down under 30%. " , the 1 hour is a cumulative one withing a cycle so going back again isnt so important .
  • mcgivor
    Firstly I use a remote meter, RM 2 and not MS View so don't get the Logging.

With the meter the minimum voltage for the day, really overnight, is the lowest captured voltage, even a sag when something starts, like a pump is captured, a little misleading, but once understood it's no problem. First thing in the morning it may say 24.1V as the low, but tested with a meter it will be higher, say 24.9V at rest.

The absorption-cycle on the meter is displayed  as PWM 35% for example, when this value falls below 30% for more than an hour it will go into float. If a load interrupts this and increases the PWM % above  30%, the timer resets the timer and the one hour count down  begins again. This is the reason it rarely goes into float if there are loads, the amount of sunlight plays a part too, if clouds pass the PV input may drop below the charging output, causing the same resetting of the timer.

On the meter, there are 2 battery voltage readings in the diagnostic menu, one states battery voltage, another states battery voltage valid, or the voltage sence value which is the true battery voltage, rather than the voltage at the controller, which disregards voltage drop and allows a more accurate control. The voltage displayed on the meter in its normal state, real time, is the valid value, i've tested with a volt meter and is accurate.

The low battery voltage reading can be reset by performing a total reset of the total Ah but again, I have a meter, there must be away to do this via software. Below is the response from tech support regarding the low voltage eronious display.

The Amp Hours can easily be reset by scrolling with the down arrow button until you reach the Reset Ah page in the remote meter and then holding the right arrow button for 2 seconds. Additionally, this operation will reset the kWh counter and the battery minimum / maximum values as well. You can review this process, and many other options, in the meter map which I have included a link to below:

Regarding the software glitches I would assume there is a way to synchronize the clock to your computer,  the columns with max and min voltages in logging being inverted, there must be a way to transpose them. The screen shot looks good, minimum although eronious is in the right place.

Don't get too discouraged there is always a solution, just takes time to get familiar with the system and things fall into place. As long as the batteries are being charged correctly that is the important thing, the software issues are of low priority. 

Finally one question and one suggestion 
    What panels are you using, 60 or 72 cell?
    It might be a good idea to start a new discussion based on your issues with a heading like Morningstar MSVIEW issues, this could attract others with more knowledge regarding software, even the MPPT software users could help as I'm sure the software is very similar.
  • drfhm
    edited February 2017 #22
    Think your suggestion for a fresh topic would be useful so will do that . Your remarks about the timer for Float resetting itself is not what the guy at Morningstar told me , he said a Cumulative hour which i liken to keeping a UK car in Spain , you can only have one here for 183 days cumulatively within a year , so many people will keep one here for a few weeks then take it back to the Uk and return weeks or months later , several times , as long as the total time here within a year doesn't total more then 183 days their safe , some used to think they can keep one here for 180 days then back to the UK for a week then return again and the clock restarts , it wouldent , 3 days after their return it would be illegal and be impounded .

My panels are 36 cell PV 12v wired into pairs and 60 cell PV 24v cells per panel  total output 1120 watts at 24v . Manufacturers are BP and Atersa .

Have tried resting my batteries before taking the readings so the only consumption was the TS-60 .nothing in or out . The voltage variations were still present , battery voltage did rise and so did the readings on the controller but the disparity remained .

The Sense voltage as you say should be the same as the batteries and if it is taken off the controller it is , its only when its on the controller does the contact show it to be 0.03v lower ie: battery 29.7 controller contacts 30v .

Below is what i have established so far 

The minimum is in the right place on the screenshot i posted but normaly its not . See attached recent screnshot .

TS-60 PWM Firmwear Version v01.04.14

MULTI METER                                              MSView shows

BATTERY VOLTAGE                                                                                                                  0.3 to 0.5 Higher

BATTERY SENSE VOLTAGE                                0.2 to 0.3 Lower                                          0.2 to 0.3 Higher

ARRAY VOLTAGE                                                                                                                      0.3 to 0.04 higher

AMPHOUR TOTAL                                              Far Higher Than Could Ever Be Possible

KILOWATT HOURS                              None Registered but AMPHOURS shows there should be some

MIN VOLTAGE                                                     Never Been Below 24v but it says 7.65v

These Below All Seem To Be Correct

Ah ( Resettable )

HOURMETER

SETTING SWITCHES

CONTROL MODE

CONTROL STATE

PWM DUTY CYCLE

MAX VOLTAGE

LEDs