Replacing glass on broken panel?

CVN-71
CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
I have a 205W panel with broken glass. All the cells are still good. Has anyone taken glass out of a broken panel and replaced it? I was thinking I could remove the frame, then perhaps purchase a piece of safety glass from the glass shop and then silicone it all back together. How do the DIY'rs do it? My plan is just to use the panel on a shed, so what it looks like is not important. Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Replacing glass on broken panel?

My advice is: don't even try.
    In attempting to remove the glass you most likely will damage the cells underneath (which are laminated to the glass). Your best bet is to use some auto-grade windshield repair or UV proof silicone to seal up the cracks until you can replace the whole panel.
    There have been quite a few inquiries on the forum of this nature. If you search for broken glass site:wind-sun.com on Google you'll come up with a number of threads/posts about the problem and all the trials to overcome them. The results aren't very promising.

DIY people kid themselves into thinking they're making a panel as good as commercial grade, that's how they do it. Any panel that can be easily taken apart and repaired will probably need to be over and over.
  • CVN-71
    CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thanks, wasn't sure how the cells were attached. I might just get a piece of plexiglass and silicone it over the glass to waterproof it. Panel works great, but I'm sure the cracks have reduced output a little. Still, even with cracks and plexi, should be enought to keep a 12v battery charged for shed light needs.

tks
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw some epoxy on Ebay that appeared interesting, not cheap!. I forwarded it to the guy who I gave some 14 cracked glass panels. I'll hunt it up tonight for you. I'll PM if I onlyt find on Ebay.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I'm stuck waiting on a phone call; The stuff is called "MAX 1618 EPOXY" from the 3 minute research 1618 is a bonding reagent for different types of Epoxy, easiest to do a google search (link) about half of the links come up with youtube vids and the other half are direct or click thru links to Ebay.

The one seller I saw had 4 negatives having to do with shipping charges, nothing negative about the product. Might be worth a try. Let us know! There were some smaller quantities. Only the gal size info refers to solar panels. The smaller kits were @$30 + ship.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.